BEST tool on a SAK besides the knife?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by WalkTheEdge, Jan 26, 2020.

1. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    You don't own at least one Victorinox Classic?

Maxthemutt likes this.
  2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I bought an alox classic and my wife kept it. But I do notice that I have an old Wenger that is essentially a classic with the tiny scissors. (So, my last post was incorrect.) Never used the scissors. Most of the time when I need a scissors I'm in an office or at home and I have regular scissors.

Andess78 and allenC like this.
  3. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    A very wise wife you have there. ;)

Storm 8593 and jmh33 like this.
  4. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I'm going to go with the cap lifter/flathead. For me, it packs the most utility into one tool.

First of all, I drink bottled beer that is not a screw top meat of the time. It's nice going to BYOB functions and knowing that I have a way to keep the libations flowing.

The flathead is not only a useful tool in it's own right, but it also is a stout little pry tool. I work around pumps with mechanical seals and the short flathead gets under the metal of a seal better than most any tool I have tried. I also think the wire stripper is under appreciated. I've fixed a few toys for my daughter where the wiring came loose. Pry open the back, cut the coating on the wire, strip it, splice it, attach it, back in action.

Storm 8593, 22-rimfire and Andess78 like this.
  5. David From NC

David From NC Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Scissors. ALTHOUGH I literally just loaned my tweezers to a co-worker who came around asking if anyone had any tweezers . He was dealing with a splinter of some type.

Plainsman and Andess78 like this.
  6. Jim Bob

Jim Bob

Apr 16, 2019
    I've got to have an awl. Only because it's the perfect tool for unclogging the slots in the Teflon glide on my carpet cleaning wand. Love my Tinker! I love the flat screwdriver too for making quick vacuum cleaner repairs. Perfect EDC for a professional carpet cleaner.

Plainsman, Andess78 and Grateful like this.
  7. Andess78

Andess78

Feb 9, 2020
    Caplifter

8. Plainsman

Plainsman

Apr 5, 1999
    My first instinct was to say the SAW.
    Then I read the replies and have to agree that the scissor is top too.
    And the awl...and the tweezers...and the toothpick...

Considering I like all these choices, I cant make up my mind...

But I do carry my Vic OHT primarily for three tools, the saw, toothpick and tweezer...

allenC, Welshie12 and redsparrow like this.
  9. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I've been thinking about this one and I'm going to have to cheat and say 'the small blade'. I use it more than the main blade. I won't carry a model without one anymore. :)

10. Storm 8593

Storm 8593

Jan 4, 2019
    Neck and neck with the awl for boring scraping, prickle removal etc and the small screwdriver tip for all the Phillips head I strike at work as an electrician

Plainsman likes this.
  11. Rostovsky

Rostovsky

Apr 12, 2015
    The awl on the Alox

Plainsman and Getting older like this.
  12. Trivette100

Trivette100 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2019
    the combo tool on those knives which have one, otherwise the cap lifter

13. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    scissors

Plainsman and Getting older like this.
  14. Fisher1573

Fisher1573

Sep 13, 2012
    I use the scissors to trim my moustache and fingernails, cut thread, string, and fishing line etc. I love the saw as well, cut a 7" diameter white oak down with it because it was growing under the power line. But if I could only have one other tool in addition to the blades, it would be the can opener/#2 phillips combo. Mine has opened can, been used as a small pry bar, a scraper, a phillips amd a flat head screwdriver. I've only had to use a dedicated screwdriver on some kids toys, so the T handle phillips on the back is useless to me as long as I have the can opener. These aren't meant to be hard use tools, they are there for when you don't have a proper tool nearby.

allenC and Welshie12 like this.
  15. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    I reached the point in my age that I need a tooth pick every time I eat something..:(
    My pick.. Toothpick..;)
    John

16. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    That can opener tool is also good for removing staples.

allenC, Pomsbz, Fisher1573 and 2 others like this.
  17. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Tweezer and toothpick combo. Its why I dont have any Alox SAKs.

redsparrow and jmh33 like this.
  18. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I’ve been watching the posts and it’s interesting to see the choices based on what a persons needs are. For me I would say the can opener. I don’t use it for a bunch of cans, but when I need to open tiny cans my electric can opener doesn’t like them so I grab a SAK. I also use it to remove staples and as a Phillips screw driver. I’ve used it as a hook to pull or hold things and sometimes as a scraping tool.

Now on a classic, the scissors are the only folding tool that ever get used. The toothpick and tweezers see a little action. I could probably get by with the Jetsetter for my key chain since I never use the file or blade.

allenC likes this.
  19. Welshie12

Welshie12

Jan 15, 2020
    I have a jetsetter. It's surprising how often you need a file when you don't have one :rolleyes::D
    I thought I'd use it a lot when I got it as a non threatening knife for snipping random sticky out beard hairs in public toilets but it almost never gets used. I almost always have a classic or manager instead of I think a little sak is needed.

315 likes this.
  20. Welshie12

Welshie12

Jan 15, 2020
    Or that was my excuse for buying it... I didn't need it at all if I'm being honest I've never snipped a beard hair in a public toilet lol :p:D:rolleyes::confused:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    315 likes this.