Best watch for $100 USD?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by LongDistance, Jul 7, 2006.

1. LongDistance

LongDistance

May 24, 2004
    I'm thinking about getting a replacement for my CASIO G-Shock DW-5600E-1V. My G-Shock served me well, but I think it is time for something more sleek and "beautiful".

I will be using this watch to read time, not to show off my wealth, so I am having a 100 USD budget.

I only have some requirements

Must be digital, with time (duh) and seconds, date, and day
    Must have a non-metallic strap
    Must have a backlight
    Must have a stopwatch
    Atleast 100m water proof
    Tough, must survive "stupidty" :eek:
    Easy to use
    Light

Other functions will be pluses (like a compass), but I will be using this watch to read and record time, so it is not a major concern.

I am currently looking at this
    http://www.superchrono.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=519&zenid=2ks8p08f682e48rpnvkdtgm6k6

any other suggestions? thanks

2. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I dont have a specific suggestion, but do recommend www.overstock.com for watch purchases. I bought a couple of nice Seikos there for about half of the department store price. Something to consider.

Edit: ok, I do have a watch suggestion - the one I'm wearing. Timex Ironman. Has all of the features you are after. And probably costs under $40. JMO.

cheers

3. glockman99

glockman99 Super Moderator Super Mod

Jun 12, 2000
    Why not stay with the Casio brand? Do a google search for Casio Edifice, and I'm sure that you'll find just what you are looking for.:).

4. bill_G

bill_G

Jun 7, 2004
    thats a nice looking watch...i may get one myself.

However, it doesn't say its waterproof. wonder why??

Bill

5. kinzli

kinzli Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2001
    I'm a real fan of Casio's atomic watches. Costco carries a GShock atomic for about $60 and it's a deal and a half.

My work requires me to watch time closely and it's really nice knowing that I'm always *right on* to the second, can't get any better than that! I'm in exact time with NTP, always. Love it :) Oh, and the costco one is solar as well, and if it doesn't last or you don't like it, you can always take it back.

6. DB1

DB1

Jan 4, 2002
    Take a look at the Nike Oregon series watches if you are looking for a digital other than Casio.

7. ahgar

ahgar

Jan 4, 2005
    head on down to the local wally world and pick up the atomic/solar model with the 3 eyes. awesome watch, dead accurate, never change battery {well actually it has a life of about 10 years but you'll either be tired of it or have lost it by them}. at our local wally world i got mine on sale, regular $89 on sale for 59.99. and yes it is sex on a stick. later,ahgar

8. kinzli

Oct 2, 2001
    Aghar, I think that's the same one Costco has, about the same price, too. Excellent watch fo r the $$...

9. fulloflead

fulloflead

May 3, 2002
    Bingo. There's a solar one too.:thumbup:

10. LongDistance

LongDistance

May 24, 2004
    thanks for the comments

hmm... alot of reccomendations for an atomic G-Shock. I will go check them out. Even though I don't need to know the exact time, it will be an addition plus.

11. fulloflead

fulloflead

May 3, 2002
    It has it's benefits. You never have to set it. You can always set other clocks BY it. The Solar one never needs batteries. Basically, just buy it and forget it.

The one I had had a cool feature where it would light-up at night if you just tilted it in front of you to look at. (Turn-offable.) It was actually analog/digital dual too.

12. kinzli

Oct 2, 2001
    The other nice thing about the Casio we're all talking about is that it has built in support for all of the world's timezones by name. So, you have your "main" timezone, and then you have an alternate timezone, which you select by city name, like "London", "Madrid", etc. This way, it makes traveling really nice because you don't have to think "London is 8 hours ahead of SF where I live..." and then futz with setting that, setting it back again, etc. Very nice feature methinks.

The Costco one also has the tilt light (although it's annoying at a movie theater) :)

I have read that the solar/battery combination doesn't always live up to the claims of 10 years, and some fail after 5 or so. For me, that's fine, it's a cheap watch and by then I'll probably be tired of it. Of course I could have bought a quartz watch, but I think they're about the same price anyhow.

Here's the costco one: [​IMG]

13. beefangusbeef

beefangusbeef

Dec 2, 2005
    I have that watch it's pretty neat. I like the automatic atomic clock updates, but turning them on and off can be a pain sometimes when synchronizing to people who have less "perfect" time than you ;). I would highly reccomend that watch.

14. ahgar

ahgar

Jan 4, 2005
    yep that's the one i have and it is great. for the price you can't beat it and you get the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that your "cheap"watch is much much much more accurate and durable than a rolex. later,ahgar
    another benefit is that no one will knock you in the head to steal your cassie,but they will for your rollie.

15. fulloflead

fulloflead

May 3, 2002
    This is the one I was talking about:

Attached Files:

16. gbaker

gbaker

Sep 20, 2005
    Can you post the model number? Thanks

17. fulloflead

fulloflead

May 3, 2002
    Here it is on Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/lfcho

That's about the right price too. I got mine on ebay for $100 shipped, wore it for a little while and sold it for $90. I just didn't like plastic. I prefer the Pulsar Solar Analogs.

18. gbaker

gbaker

Sep 20, 2005
    Isn't the Pulsar a wind up? If so I'd probably have to rely on the cell phone.

BTW I saved (not bookmarked) your Kung Fu thread to the hard drive. Just to fun not to read.

19. Razzierb

Razzierb

Jun 26, 2003