BK62 Scales Question

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by GeofS, Jan 20, 2020.

1. GeofS

GeofS “Nostra-bladus” Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Hi all,

Is it possible that KA-BAR is using a stain on the walnut scales? I’m just wondering because when I’ve sanded, it has revealed lighter wood that doesn’t ever seem to darken and blend with the rest of the scale.

It can be seen here, on both the top and bottom part of the scale...
    [​IMG] Even when I’ve oiled them after, there is a noticeable color difference.

Any ideas why?

Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  2. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    could be a stain, could be that you're using a finer grit so it doesn't soak up as much oil.
    Watco brand Danish oil comes in plain oil and tinted -- might be worth trying.
    otherwise, maybe sand the entire scale to see if anything else lightens up?

Plainsman, Tanker 1/66 and GeofS like this.
  3. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    Thanks, Vik. I’m using pure tung oil. I want to keep it as natural as possible.

4. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    lightly sand it with paper soaked in the oil - that way the rough parts of the wood get filled with sawdust and when the oil cures, it's be there forever.

5. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    I’ll try it. Thank you. :thumbsup:

6. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    it's an old furniture finishers trick for working with open pored woods like oak. ;)

7. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    Sounds like that would certainly aid in smoothing a grain out. :thumbsup:

Plainsman and Tanker 1/66 like this.
  8. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    a little BLO will darken that right back up too, and soak in deeper (depending on your patience).
    I like a few coats of BLO over the course of half an hour while doing other things, and then some furniture wax. But once they come home, they just get butcher block treatment on the handles.

Walnut is often quite light before it's been hit with some kind of finish, tinted or otherwise.

Plainsman, Tanker 1/66 and GeofS like this.
  9. Lodd

Lodd Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2015
    I always thought the handles had been lightly oiled as part of the manufacturing process, but that was always just a hunch. However, it that were the case, then it would make sense for it to become slightly lighter after sanding.

Plainsman and GeofS like this.
  10. Crag the Brewer

Crag the Brewer

Oct 18, 2018
    I was wondering if the darker parts that you see were from you handling it before?

I'm really surprised we haven't seen aftermarket scales?
    the ones that came with the knives were a let down for me. The two pairs I have seemed softer than I'm use to with walnut.....And they Shrunk, Big Time!
    I agree with post about using Danish oil finish… I use it on everything wood. I even rub it into my micarta Becker handles. It gives them a Richer, more wood-like feel.

11. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    I like pure tung oil...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It always gives such a rich depth. :thumbsup:

12. Crag the Brewer

Crag the Brewer

Oct 18, 2018
    Looks nice.... I'm embarrassed to say, from memory.... I don't remember what all the various oils are like?
    Danish is Very easy to use as well... It's rich, and beautiful. It Can come in a variety of colors (all are mild, nothing drastic) I often use cherry or walnut on really Any wood.... it's subtle, the coloring.

I believe after a number of coates it absorbs some into the grains, and Slightly hardens the wood... Very slightly.
    I remember my father restoring rifle stocks with it back in the day... (he always used Danish) I started using it for furniture making as well..... I love how easy it is, no streaking, and the smell brings back fond memories...haha

Plainsman, 1066vik and GeofS like this.
  13. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    gosh guys, don't you know what a french polish is?

most of yer oils and stains darken and yellow

perhaps you want more out of life :D

GeofS and Tanker 1/66 like this.
  14. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Rustins:thumbsup:

GeofS likes this.
  15. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013
    Just remember walnut some time has light spots in the grain . Mostly near the outer part of the log

GeofS likes this.
  16. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Just plane old Mineral Oil has worked well for me . Food safe and Simple. Wipe on a dab every couple days till fully absorbed you will have a nice look and may never need more but if you ever do just a wipe on and off your good to go for you knows?
    462DBC20-A067-4D00-BBA0-2F4CACEA78F7.jpeg 90A65ABB-C378-4772-9265-C9E9DFB63744.jpeg 1C9B2E1C-4008-43E4-B12D-2F789C7027B1.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    eveled, knoefz, GeofS and 1 other person like this.
  17. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    That does look nice.

JJ_Colt45 and Xr6x like this.
  18. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Thanks Dubz !

The Warrior and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  19. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I agree with @Xr6x I have a bottle of cutting board oil I keep handy. (It’s just food safe mineral oil) For wooden spoons, cutting boards, knife handles. I Even use it to lube my slip joint knives.

Xr6x and bikerector like this.
  20. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    You guys are aware that tkc is developing scales and they’ll be ready soon. I’ve gotten emails on it.