Black jack model 14 Halo

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by shawn 7.5, May 4, 2020.

1. shawn 7.5

shawn 7.5

May 4, 2020
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--BlackJack-Model-14-Halo-Attack--17430

Anyone own one of these? How wide is the blade? How wide is the blade tang? I understand the blade tang is exposed on the back of the handle but not the front. does this effect the strength of the knife in any way? Would this knife be strong enough for batoning and chopping?

2. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    Why not look up the specs yourself?

Oh, right, you don't trust yourself to believe anything unless someone you never met in person tells you it's OK on an open internet forum....

OK, here goes nothing: Yes, you can baton it. Yes, you can chop with it. It has a full length tang, and unless you go after it with a piece of pipe, attached to a '75 Lincoln Continental, you're not going to hurt it. It's stronger than you are. When is the last time YOU broke a piece of 1/4" A2 steel with your bare hands?

Now, all of that being said, it IS possible to damage the channeled micarta scales, through improper cutting technique, but you would also likely break your fingers in doing so.

You should probably worry more about what's LIKELY to happen, rather than what is technically possible, and, in a very specific case, could POSSIBLY, happen. Got news for ya, there ain't gonna be no zombie apocalypse...

gwdodd likes this.
  3. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    That's exactly what the mad scientist preparing to unleash the zombie virus WOULD say, isn't it? I will not fall for your trickery!

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  4. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    SSSHHHHH!!! It ain't the MADNESS, it's the MEDNESS!!! And it's in the vaccine!!! Bwaaahhaaahhhaaaa.....!

5. JamesofArc

JamesofArc

Apr 19, 2016
    I always wanted a 14 halo attack. Get it is my opinion.

6. JamesofArc

JamesofArc

Apr 19, 2016
    That discription is not correct. I dont think it is D2 but A2 and i thought the jalo attack was a 5 inch blade.

7. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    Why don't you stay out of the thread since you obviously have nothing useful to say.

A new member to the forums had a question about a particular knife, keep the smartass comments to yourself.

8. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    Admonition accepted. I will take my points, if you deem it necessary.

My apologies. Just had shoulder surgery Friday, and that was the pain meds talking. I probably thought it was funny at the time. Not that I'm not usually an asshole. I am. Just not usually to this degree.

To the OP: @shawn 7.5, the Blackjack is a really good knife. Good materials, good design. Cutting technique and geometry are more important than what type of steel is used, but the A2 alloy is a very tough tool steel that will likely hold up to any reasonable use, as well as some serious abuse, before any failures in materials or workmanship. And micarta is nearly indestructible. The channel design is to keep your fingers from freezing to the tang in cold conditions, as well as to prevent hot-spots on the user's hand if the handle material shrinks. Micarta doesn't shrink. You can buy with confidence. Again, my apologies.

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  9. rustyspike

rustyspike

Jan 17, 2016
    That's a old web page description. Says out of stock. Any way the new Blackjacks are made by Barkriver and are A2. I bought a 1-7 from DLT about 6 months ago.

Rich K.

10. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013

They have two different sizes, don’t remember the smaller model number, maybe 5 ?

11. shawn 7.5

shawn 7.5

May 4, 2020
    Thanks for the help. I noticed it’s a convex grind. Is that different to sharpen than a secondary V edge? Can I still sharpen a convex grind on an edge pro apex? I own one. Also, the width of the blade and the width of the tang are not listed with the specs, if anyone knows this information, I would love to know what it is.

12. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    No points necessary, appreciate your updated response to the OP.

Good luck with the shoulder recovery.

13. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    You might email Blackjack with your questions, they'd likely have the most knowledgeable response. Unless someone here has one to take some measurements. Yes, the convex edge is different, tho not difficult, to sharpen, it's more like sharpening an axe. An old leather belt and some abrasive compound for a strop will take care of day to day touch-ups.

This is a combat/survival knife, and a good one. It has a full length tang, that is likely at least 3/4 inch in width, it WILL be strong enough for your needs. I'm not sure what scenarios you are looking at, but it will do ALL of the big knife tasks you throw at it. And likely a sizable portion of jobs that probably should be done with a hatchet or 'hawk, which you should also have. Using the right tool for the job means having those tools with you when you need them.

14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Blackjacks are all good knives that I have tried. I'm a fan of the BJ classics. The 1-7 is similar to the Halo. I prefer the border patrol type handle. The BJ 1-7 or an equivalent Randall is about as big as I am willing to possibly carry. But frankly, I prefer something a bit smaller.

There really won't be an apocalypse. I think other than a world war, Covid-19 is about as apocalyptic as you are likely to see. But everyone needs a beastly knife that they likely will seldom use. Knives this size are just too big for me to be comfortable wearing even in the woods. Why? Because you seldom use it and in most cases you don't need it.

I feel sure it would chop just fine for a knife this size.

15. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    I have a Livesay RTAK, 10" of 1095, differentially hardened. This is my 'one knife' solution. But in an EOTWAWKI situation, I'd want a 'hawk, a stout mid-sized fixed blade, and a small-medium fixed blade. Fewer parts to fail, and to maintain.

16. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    I dont have that knife, but I have a model 1-7. Its pretty similar but it has a standard hidden tang, and I would trust it to do anything I needed. I also have a Model 125 that I have used heavily for hunting, and its held up beautifully. Both of my Blackjacks are A2 steel. You can trust that the knife will do anything you need it to do, and with style. I dont baton knives though, so I cant speak to that.
    The only time I have ever done that was when I shot a turkey once and was trying to get the legs off (not much meat there, but I wanted fried turkey legs haha). I couldnt seem to get one off, and instead of giving up or going to get my hatchet like I knew I should, I laid the blade of my 125 that I was using down on the bone and slammed it through. It was pretty stupid. All that happened to my (hidden tang) knife though was a rolled edge, which I had to sharpen out. It took me forever, and cured me of ever batoning again.
    Anyway, Im sure itll be a great knife for you. If you do manage to break it, it has a great warranty.

17. jacinda

jacinda

Mar 3, 2020
    following

18. deadzonepatrol

deadzonepatrol

Apr 11, 2019
    I get 1 and 3/16 inch wide on mine; blade tang just over 1 inch at the ricasso, almost exactly 1 inch at the guard, and 3/4 inch at the pommel end. Inside the handle, obviously, you don't know what the tang looks like. Yes, tang is exposed on top of the handle, but not the bottom. Mine is 7 and 3/8 inches for the blade and it's just over 3/16 thick to my eye. The tang is about 1/4 inch thick. 12 and 1/8 overall length. Extremely thick guard, about a 1/4 inch thick. A2 steel.

I haven't used mine, but I would say it's a very tough knife. Built like a tank. A bit small for chopping. There is a false edge on top extending from the tip to about 5 and 3/8 inches toward the guard. So only 2 inches of the blade is full thickness. You could baton with it, I'm sure, but it wouldn't be ideal for it.

Bravo 2 has a 7 inch blade with full tang. No false edge, full thickness blade to within 1 and 1/4 inches of the tip. So that would be better for batoning.

19. ASBOB

ASBOB

Feb 8, 2008
    you could even emal any reputable dealer that has them in stock. They should be able to take any measurements you need.