Black Spotting on WWII

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Shann, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    I allowed my WWII to get rusty sitting in my truck. I sprayed some "Must for Rust" on it and used a plastic scrubby which got rid of most of the rust, but left a grey patina, which I don't mind. however, it also left some spotting that doesn't come off. I didn't really try to scrub it down, but how do I remove the spotting?

2. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I get a lot of spotting on my blades that I keep here at work (tons of Chlorine in the air along with humidity). Short of scrubbing and buffing the whole blade down, I don't know what else you can try. I've had pretty good luck getting MOST of the spots off using a piece of leather and some jeweler's polish.

3. arty

arty

Oct 18, 2003
    auto paste polish sometimes works - the finish material that is designed to remove minor scratches works great.

4. Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Jul 30, 2004
    "Mothers" polishing paste has worked on mine...

Mike

5. 007 Agent ZZero

007 Agent ZZero Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mother mag and aluminum polish, if that doesn't work then steel wool or scotchbrite and put a fresh satin finish on.

6. spiraltwista

spiraltwista

Nov 29, 2002
    In the Nepali villages they would alow the whole blade black to turn black with chemicals from use with sap, veg & meat & just the edge would show bright from burnishing or sharpening

Spiral

7. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    That'd be okay with me... I like that patina with polished edge look. These mirror-finished HI blades seem to be resistant to the patination process though, but I think I'll let it change in its own time. The mirror finish is neat while it lasts, and I imagine it offers minimal friction when chopping, as opposed to less highly polished blade surfaces.

8. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    Thanks. The patina is fine with me, I just would like it "even" and not so spotted. I'm way too lazy to try to put a mirror finish back on it. Even though its my first and favorite khuk, its the worker of my small collection.

9. Bri in Chi

Bri in Chi

May 28, 2003
    Search the archives under "patina" for many opinions on the proper way to patinate a khukri.:rolleyes:

10. jjk308

jjk308

Nov 19, 2006
    I use fine bronze wool and motor oil on blued firearms, rub gently - lots easier on the steel than steel wool of any grade but will remove rust. Worked on my Khukris.