1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Boker Valkyrie - beautiful but very impractial

Discussion in 'Boker USA' started by alaus, Feb 3, 2017.

1. alaus

alaus

Nov 11, 2007
    The Boker Valkyrie - I almost bought it. It's very beautiful. But SO IMPRACTICAL. Blade is TOO THICK. Very hard to sharpen, bad slicer. No, I'm not going to buy it. I have too many THICK, overbuilt knives that are just useless. If I need to chop wood, I take my hatchet or my machete. I'm over THICK knives. Nowadays all I want is a thin, stainless steel knife, a carbon steel machete and a carbon steel axe. That's it. I don't need a sharpened pry bar, no matter how beautiful it looks.

The Valkyrie really needs to have a blade thickness of 4mm, no more than that. Can you do it? :thumbup:

2. Marketing

Marketing

Aug 1, 2007
    it would be possible, but people like the Valkyrie because of its heft...

3. alaus

alaus

Nov 11, 2007
    But they don't USE it. They only look at it. For USING it, the blade needs to be thinner.

4. Mako109

Mako109 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2008
    The Boker Valkyrie is classified as a Bowie/Fighter/Hollywood knife. In other words, it's for collectors and mean't to be displayed next to your "Rambo First Blood" knife. Practical heft and blade thickness is irrelevant in this case.