Bought a 110 today.

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by VicAlox74, Apr 6, 2020.

1. VicAlox74

VicAlox74

Nov 4, 2018
    I like it. Its quite big. Heavy too. But with all the history i had to get one.

It's nice Buck still makes this knife in the USA! Plus keeping it at a decent price.

Could come in handy in case I'm attacked by a bear in the woods. :)

2. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    congrats on your first 110. did ya get the solid wood ebony version?

Tecate likes this.
  3. onionfan

onionfan

Nov 29, 2008
    Welcome to the club. Hope you have a lot of willpower or you'll be buying more of them now that you have one. I know I did. :cool:

Vaporstang, Boxer .45 and Tecate like this.
  4. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I'm no fortune teller or mage, but I predict this will not be the only 110 you get. They can be somewhat ... habit forming ... Like Lay's Potato Chips, one is never enough.

SK Blades and C&C both have Special Factory Order 110's at a reasonable cost. :)

Welcome to the 110 club. :)

stevekolt and Tecate like this.
  5. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Tell me! I bought an LT, then a 112, then a 112 LT, now I have about six I want to get, thats just 110/112 models. Then I want a 501, and....

6. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    Ditto! I had an old 422 bucklite a girl gave me years ago, and didn't know anything about it until recently. Then I got a 110. Now I have those 2, a 110lt, 110 slim select, 112 slim pro, and my custom 110 has just been shipped.

On the want list are a 110 slim pro G10, standard 112, possibly a custom 112, and some vintage 110s and 112s if I can find the right ones at the right prices.

Just something about the 110 and 112...so classic.

Boxer .45 likes this.
  7. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Yes, with any luck the bear might try to eat it and choke to death. :D

Congrats! :thumbsup:

jbmonkey and Jeff of the North like this.
  8. VicAlox74

VicAlox74

Nov 4, 2018
    Ebony one. It's kinda stiff to open. Put some oil in the joint, still kinda stiff.

jbmonkey likes this.
  9. VicAlox74

VicAlox74

Nov 4, 2018
    Lol. Ya. I'll just throw it on the ground. Then the bear will say "Cool! A 110."

allenC likes this.
  10. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    might be some polishing compound in there. tends to wear away or you can flush it out. regardless it will loosen up over time from use. in other words dont worry. enjoy 'er.....

Lesknife likes this.
  11. VicAlox74

VicAlox74

Nov 4, 2018
    Would WD-40 be a good flushing agent? Don't think i have anything else handy.

12. GPyro

GPyro Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2019
    some folks just say use hot soapy water then dry then wd-40.
    works for me.

jbmonkey likes this.
  13. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    as Gpyro said.....but you can just use and wait and see if it wears in on it's own. ya dont have to flush it and it might not be polishing compound might just be a tight pin and it will break in from using over time.

14. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    For flushing it would probably be fine, just oil it after with regular gun oil. WD40 isn't a good lubricant, its a penetrating oil and not for lubricating.

I use gun oil and canned air myself. You can probably just put more oil in than you think is necessary and grab the blade with a rag carefully and work the blade a lot. I've used that method as well. Its messy but works great. Might have to repeat several times. I use qtips and paper towels to wipe off the excess and black polishing compound. When you think you're done just keep wiping until its got a "normal amount" of oil.

I just did this to a 112 myself. Lots of people do this to traditional knives that are processed and polished while assembled.

Lesknife, GPyro and jbmonkey like this.
  15. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Flush with warm water. Then use the WD 40 to drive the water out. WD stands for water dispersing. Then oil it with mineral oil.

MarkN86, GPyro and jbmonkey like this.
  16. Robert Ptacek

Robert Ptacek

Oct 8, 2013
    Just bought another 110 yesterday and it is stiffer than my other ones.I'm not complaining as it is solid in every direction almost like a fixed blade.I t will smooth out over time.Maybe they are responding to all the blade wigglers.They did a good job.The knife is beautiful.

WolfyW likes this.
  17. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    If you have some grittiness in your pivot I would start with 90% alcohol carefully applied down inside the pivot area to dissolve any oils or grease, then rinse well with hot soapy water, dry, shake, and blow it out with compressed air if available. Allow it to completely dry before putting any oil on it.

I've stopped using any oil but mineral oil for my knives. It works well enough for me, it's food safe, non-toxic, and very widely available. The drawback is that if you use too much it does draw some dirt and lint, so use sparingly.

I like to compare the 110 to a 1911 pistol. They are way heavier than they need to be and can be really stiff right off the line. Once you get used to the weight it grows on you, and once it's broken in it feels smooth, solid. There's a reason it's still popular today, it's just so nice.

stevekolt likes this.
  18. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Lube it with BreakFree CLP. Just a tiny dot each side of the pivot will do.

allenC likes this.
  19. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Congrats, gotta love the 110.

Personally I've only felt the need for my original and a $20 110LT, but maybe you will want other versions.

20. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Congrats, got my first Buck110 almost 50 years ago but now I own many. :thumbsup::)
    [​IMG]