Buck 110 Pro is Broken...

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by skypeace, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Makael

Makael Books temporarily closed on sheath orders. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Most the grit is from polishing compound in the action.

jux t and skypeace like this.
  2. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    My boat dealer once accused me of “over-maintaining” the outboard on my boat! I told him I don’t intend to be the guy who floats offshore for a couple of days waiting to be found. Oil, oil, oil - guns, knives, fishing reels, engines, anything with two or more moving metal parts needs proper lubrication. OH

3. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Epirb is the only thing that will keep that from happening. Well maintained motors break down to.

jbmonkey likes this.
  4. skypeace

skypeace Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 3, 2015
    I bathed and rinsed the knife at least a half dozen times, flooded it with WD40 and wiped it down and then applied 3 in 1 oil, it was more than polishing compound causing the grittiness. I speculate that it was full of G10 grindings maybe. Buck says it was a broken spring or something. I don't know.

The 110 Pro has been a disappointment and part of that could have been my overly high expectations. I just don't know. The replacement came yesterday and has left me unimpressed. I have other 110's that I love, this one isn't one of them. The spring seems weak, the blade is a 2019 and the knife has no snap on opening or closing.

5. skypeace

Sep 3, 2015
    Being a bit despondent, but not totally discouraged, I took this 110 Pro and drenched it in WD 40 and instead of wiping it down, I rolled it up in an oily bandanna and just let it sit over night. Unwrapped it just a moment ago and it is now snappy. It feels and moves like my expectations. I am finally pleased with this knife.

I have no idea why I did this, just a hunch.

Tecate, jbmonkey, Lesknife and 3 others like this.
  6. RAZORBLADES

RAZORBLADES

Aug 14, 2006
    It's dissapointing when a knife doesn't meet your expectations,I'm sure we have all been there at one time ,I know I have.My 110 pro was perfect in every way,made me really happy,but I've had issues with some alaskan guide 110s and Buck went the extra mile to make me happy,that's more than most companies will ever fo even if they have a similar warranty,try getting it taken care of and you'll see what I mean.good luck with your new 110 pro.

skypeace likes this.
  7. Makael

Makael Books temporarily closed on sheath orders. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Oil must of softened up whatever grit was in the action.

All 110s get a run of Dawn soap inside between the scales where the blade sits. Then I use a long bristled brush inside and scrub scrub scrub. Then the pivot. Top and bottom. I’ll scrub the pivot bar with the blade 1/2 open so half the bar is exposed and half buried inside the handle. I’ll rinse under some hot water, flush with wd40 and rinse again and wipe down inside and out. A drop of lube on the pivot and along the spring bar on the back of the knife. Wipe down and typically any grit is now removed. Then there is breaking in the action and two surfaces mate together with use.
    Older 110s that are still tight have glass smooth action and snap. Lots of break in over the years.

8. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Buck uses a collar around the pivot pin between the pin and blade, Similar to a Chris reeves knife. Two different approaches but both should be smooth once broke in.

jbmonkey and skypeace like this.
  9. skypeace

Sep 3, 2015
    Thanks guys, all good and encouraging info. Went back and began scrubbing and cleaning and oiling some more. Seems to be getting better and better.

Lesknife and jbmonkey like this.
  10. skypeace

Sep 3, 2015
    AMEN!
    After 2 hours of cleaning, scrubbing, rinsing and oiling, then allowing it to sit in an oily rag it is the knife I have desired. The Pro is a hefty, strong and efficient tool and that is and was my expectation of it. To me the 110 Pro is the best of its production heritage taken to its fullest potential with modern materials. A close second is the 110 Elite.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    jbmonkey, Lesknife and gunspease like this.