1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Buck 118 Personal in D2 Closeout

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Joe58, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Joe58

Joe58 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Dunno if anyone is interested, but I noticed on the big rivers site today a company closing out 118 Personals made with D2 blade steel.

If you search on there, you should be able to find it.

I'm assuming it's a build out, or did Buck make a run in D2?

2. Badhammer

Badhammer

Jun 8, 2009
    Yes. There were two versions that I can recall. A Buildout with a blue handle and i think SMKW offered one. Maybe 2012 or thereabouts

3. Butcher1

Butcher1

Mar 15, 2008
    Which website? I found them on a couple sites but Im not familiar with big rivers and a quick search doesn't show any that look like they sell knives

4. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Fun Facts....The Amazon River in South America is the largest river by discharge of water in the world draining an area of approximately 2,720,000 square miles.

Smoky Mountain had a limited run of 200 D2 model 118's in the fall of 2014.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  5. Joe58

Joe58 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2002
    I always enjoy the nature shows that feature that area of the world. Fascinating place. Not sure I'd actually like to go there however.

But vaguely back on topic, I've a few knives with D2 and I've never been real enthused about it myself. Not something I can pinpoint. I suppose mainly it's just cause it isn't full stainless, but close. Hard to sharpen I thought.

I know there's many D2 fans however, so perhaps they were able to get one. That SMKW price was a good one.

6. Turk88

Turk88

Aug 11, 2011
    I got one from smkw when they were available modt recently. Its used quite often during the hunting season and I have to say, I'm really impressed with how buck does d2

7. Butcher1

Butcher1

Mar 15, 2008
    I can't believe I didn't get that reference

Well I've been interested in the 118 for a while, nows probably the time to jump on the d2 model

8. 49ereric

49ereric

Apr 26, 2016
    I found the 118 D2 on Amazon last week for $61.25 so I bought 4 and the next day the priced jumped up to @71.31 to 74.50 ish... They have them in stock yet...

9. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I got mine in a swap and it looks just like the one in the photo that Sky posted. I'm most sure it was in 2012 and starting to get cold. So, late in the year. But you guys say they were brought out in 2014...DM

10. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    anybody know the blade spine thickness on the 118?

11. sams

sams

Apr 21, 2001
    appears to be 1/8 " at the hilt.
    I bought my D2 at knife outlet.
    I like the steel, it holds up very well. Very sharp but I had to hone the edge with an old small "hard black" Buck Arkansas stone to get a polish finish.

12. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Dave, I saved a screen shot of the Smoky Mountain page when I purchased mine in 2014. That was not the only production run of D2 118's. You may well have acquired yours in 2012. My understanding is that all D2 118 blades were originally manufactured for the Family Favorites project (2002) which never saw full anticipated production quantity. That left a lot of D2 118 blades available for buildouts and special runs over the years. That was my understanding anyways, if anyone knows different, I'd love to hear. /Roger

edit... the projected run for the Family Favorites 4 knife set was 1,000. I think less than 100 of the $3,000 sets were actually made.....

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  13. 49ereric

49ereric

Apr 26, 2016
    I had my wife check the 4 118 D2's I bought last week,since as a construction I rarely get home and the boxes says 7-31-14... All 4 sheaths are stamped 118 on the back...

14. RAZORBLADES

RAZORBLADES

Aug 14, 2006
    I've got a custom 118 with black and grey laminate handle in d2 and I must say its a great knife,I love the d2 it holds a great edge and the model itself works on anything from hunting to kitchen use and serves as a great camping knife too lol.

15. 49ereric

49ereric

Apr 26, 2016
    I bought them for hunting,cutting up venison ect... Just hope when the grandkids grow up they'll hunt and use them...