1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 24 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Benchmade 535 Bugout, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Buck 842 Black and Blue G10

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Makael, Jan 10, 2019.

1. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I kinda like the cutouts. looks grippy for thumb placement on fine cutting control. I ordered a couple of these through Larry bcci deal. only thing I'm not thrilled about is the small sized blades. prefer 3.5" or bigger but guess law restrictions in many jurisdictions and peoples preferences for a smaller folder makes more sense for buck to accommodate more than less. still want a larger version.........

Daniel and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  2. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    Well, upon further discovery, the cutouts that I was seeing are actually more like file work on the top of the blade. I saw a video which offered better views and they don’t look to be uncomfortable after all!

jbmonkey likes this.
  3. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    The cutouts are very comfortable.

jbmonkey likes this.
  4. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Those cutouts/grooves are called jimping and they are there to keep your thumb from sliding when you beat down on it.

jbmonkey likes this.
  5. fatboy148

fatboy148

Oct 3, 2007
    I like them... Looks like it's going to be a good year for Buck!

Daniel likes this.
  6. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I like the look of the burlap as well.
    I will say they flip effortlessly. Can't wait to see the whole lineup.

Daniel and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  7. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    How well do they lock up?

8. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    40 to 50 percent lockup. No lock rock either.

jbmonkey likes this.
  9. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    These look nice.

10. Daniel

Oct 3, 1998
    Those are not really jimping. They are more like file work or embellishment.

11. ScottK

ScottK Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 1999
    Thought that I would bring this thread back to life. Today, I picked up a 840 Sprint at my local Buck dealer. Overall it's a nice, lightweight, very smooth action flipper. After spending some time using it, I developed a hot spot in my hand were the tip of the clip lies (see picture with red circle over tip of clip). The fix was easy, put remove the clip and round the tip a bit, then I acid washed the clip because I like the darker appearance that better matches the pivot and screws. The great news is the little bit of metal removal eliminated the hot spot! I'll carry this one a while, may have to get one of the pro versions.

IMG_1384a_edited.jpg IMG_1385_edited.jpg

Yo Mama, KarlG, Makael and 5 others like this.
  12. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Looks great. Nice job.

13. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Looks factory. Great job. What type of acid did u use?

14. cupton

cupton

Dec 17, 2018
    Still liking that Sprint Select? Ive been eyeballing the Sprint Pro Micarta or the Select to start the Sprint collection. I really like the looks of these Sprints (especially the Micarta) but I also don't own any nylon handled flippers at the moment. So that's why I was thinking about the Select. I also really like Bucks 420HC and the thought of a few swipes on the SharpMaker making it like new again is a bonus!

15. Daniel

Oct 3, 1998
    I finally got the Sprint Pro Burlap Micarta from Buck last week.

Overall, I like the knife. It feels good in my hand. It is a good looking knife and they left the Micarta raw which enhances the grip.

However, I would like a stiffer detente to make the knife "pop" on opening. It flips well using the "push button" method. Using the light switch method, sometimes it fails to open completely.

I would also prefer thicker liners. The locking liner is paper thin. It locks up fine, but I am not 100% faithful in the lock not failing. I am probably wrong, especially considering that it is not really a "hard use" knife. Heck, it might stand up to all kinds of stress.

16. KarlG

KarlG Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2014
    I agree with most folks. I've had the marbled carbon fiber pro version 841 after it first came out and it's light, a good flipper, easy pocket carry and good EDC in the gentleman's knife type.
    I look forward to the days it joins the line up and gets pulled out. That red really pops, handsome knife.

Attached Files:

17. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Hey @Makael how do you like the tip on the blue/black model? I like the look of the blade, a little less pointy than the other ones. Kind of reminds me of the "improved sheepsfoot" on the griptilian, maybe a spey blade. I feel like it would be a nicer EDC option, as I tend to gravitate towards less pointy models.

I have to say, I really like the burlap sprint. The knife may feel "whimpy" to some, but no worse than a mini-grip, which was right up there as a favorite folder for a long time, very closely behind the spdyerco native, but now I think this is at least tied with the native 5, with the native 5 favoring harder uses.

I think I would like to see this blade shape on some of their fixed blades, such that it comes to a straight point at the midline without any trailing point look like most of the clip points. I love clip points, but they already have that option covered. Honestly, take this model and make it a full tang fixed blade and you would have a heck of an EDC fixed blade, though I imagine the market for that is much smaller than the folder market.

18. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Its great. Love it's blade shape. Lightweight flipper. :thumbsup:

KarlG likes this.
  19. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Wow in the pics online the CF looks alot darker. Personally I would like that frame with the black blade off the blue/black version.

KarlG likes this.