1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Buck At Work

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by David Martin, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Always enjoy a good hunting thread David. Before clear-cut farming and fire ants we had many coveys, when I was a boy bird hunting meant Bobwhite Quail and we had plenty of coveys spread over several farms (two uncles with adjoining farms meant lots of great hunting!). Now I see a rare covey when I’m turkey hunting or out and about on one of the farms. Too scarce to gun them, but there is one preserve worth hunting east of Charlotte - long drive, but I usually go once a season to bird hunt there. OH

2. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I hear this same report many times. I go and talk to my uncles about this condition, who are farmers and they think it is most of what you're saying.
    With baling hay one can cut right up to the fence. Even when I was pulling hay rakes, I'd notice a hen Bobwhite break out from her nest of
    eggs, just before I raked over it. Then we're not growing grain like we used to. Plus, cutting favored cover back for grazing land. So, I believe farming practices was the death nail for the Southern Bobwhite. I don't know if it will come back. In some areas, yes... Thanks, Hunter. DM

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  3. cupton

cupton

Dec 17, 2018
    No more football for the season either. :(

4. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Ok, guys, I was out before they came off the roost, looking. Then one flushed, presenting a decent opportunity and I took it with a left
    swing. My bird dog found it right away and brought it to me. Another female. It's in the teens here with about 3" of fresh snow on the ground. So, Leesa didn't care to follow along. Still, I have you a photo. DM
    quail2.jpg

5. Jeff#103

Jeff#103

Oct 17, 2007
    Bad news for you, 300Bucks. I had my rt. knee replaced this past July, and received an invoice from the hospital. The surgery cost $85,000!!! My knee cost more than my house!
    Back to the topic: Quail hunting was my passion since I started hunting at age 13. Nothing I'd rather hunt, not even deer. I was blessed to have permission to hunt a property that still held a large population of wild Bobwhites, even after they became scarce everywhere else in south Jersey. That all changed in the early 2000's when New Jersey closed the season on quail entirely. No more quail hunting here. The younger generation of bird hunters doesn't even know what they're missing.

6. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Jeff, your hitting at the heart of the trend. It's sad that my children can't experience the same life experiences that I enjoyed while growing up. Still, I try to help them. DM

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Jeff#103 likes this.
  7. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    If it dont have a motor and wheels.. I have no interest!!;)
    John

cupton likes this.
  8. DDDWho

DDDWho

Aug 21, 2015
  9. Geddinight

Geddinight

Dec 15, 2008
    David,

The dogs, the jumbo hunter, the shotgun and the birds make for beautiful photographs. Thanks for sharing your hunting with us.

Next year, I hope to resume my hunting. It's been on extended leave for a while. Closest I have come to quail is hunting grouse in the Adirondacks. Quite a rush when you flush one or two.

Keep up the great hunting posts.

jmh33 likes this.
  10. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks Gedd, we do have Spruce Grouse here but I haven't found them recently. They are all dark meat. They drum in the forest and will
    hold when a dog points. They're the size of a Bandtail pigeon. Yes, they make quite a noise when they flush. DM

11. gsea

gsea Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Haven't bird hunted in ages. Hunted mostly pheasant and grouse. Always took some birds to deer camp for a dinner or two. Lower Adirondacks and the Mohawk Valley in NYS had good populations back then. I actually used a Sweet 16 gauge then lol

jmh33 likes this.
  12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    gsea, that's a nice Browning. Old Hunter uses the same model when bird hunting. DM

13. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    I grew up with German shorthair pointer so they are all we ever had and they are amazing animals.

14. David Nowlin

David Nowlin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2018
  15. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    Kalinga getting ready to do some work

16. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    upload_2019-1-5_20-47-42.jpeg

jbmonkey and Old Hunter like this.
  17. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    Cuts steak like butter.

18. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Oh, Dave, I like it. Looks tasty. DM

19. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Fruits of my labor. A fitting menu on a cold night like this. DM
    quailme.jpg

Hawkeye5, zakjak221, Jeff#103 and 5 others like this.
  20. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    looks like it was good. wife did ya right.

334 did the cutting on the plate there, Sir?