Buck Sharpening Methods

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by bertl, Feb 8, 2021.

1. bertl

bertl Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2011
    KNIFE SHARPENING—If a person uses the search option, there is a lot of information on the forum about sharpening knives. I'm usually not in favor of adding stickies, but I think having one that puts sharpening information in one place would be useful. This could include discussion of techniques and opinions about equipment—stones, rods, sanding belts, etc. Please give your comment about this, then someone might start the sticky.

2. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    A good idea..
    I sharpen most all my knives on bench stones, starting on a coarse SiC stone. Then finish on the fine at 3-400 grit. For the vanadium steels I'll finish it on the fine diamond (maybe).
    On kitchen knives I'll finish those on the fine India. DM

GPyro, skypeace and Lesknife like this.
  3. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    a good idear......

someone, as in factory rep @J Hubbard :) should post on the pre edge 2000 angles and edge 2000 angles. that is useful info here on the forum but has to be hunted down.....

4. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
  5. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    True ^ but some here don't traffic in that forum. I believe bertl wants this topic specific to Buck grinds and steels. DM

6. gedlicks

gedlicks Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Personally I would have no problem with adding another sticky if one of the current ones gets removed. There is quite a few stickies and would prefer that it doesn't get any longer. Just my 2 cents.

BuckShack, skypeace and GPyro like this.
  7. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Such as when sharpening Buck's early 100 series knives with the semi- hollow grind. I will give it a V grind then blend the shoulders of the V back in with the convex grind. You can do this by stropping it on 800 grit SiC wet/ dry paper. Using a edge trailing stroke with a soft backing of a towel and lay the spine with a 1/8" lift off the sand paper. This blends it back. DM

8. bertl

Feb 17, 2011
    I agree. With the current stickies, I wonder if we really need the customs rulings sticky.

skypeace, GPyro and David Martin like this.
  9. bertl

Feb 17, 2011
    That's a good point. I didn't know about it, but that's my problem. I took a look and one problem for me is that the number of choices is sort of overwhelming—again, that's sort of my problem.

skypeace likes this.
  10. GPyro

GPyro Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2019
    I agree.
    Buck specific.
    There are folks here with vast amounts of knowledge. It would be great to have a sticky that would have all that info in one spot.

Great idea Bert!

skypeace likes this.
  11. skypeace

skypeace Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 3, 2015
    At least remove a sticky before another sticky so it doesn't get too sticky.

Would love a sharpening sticky, have a two sided stone I bought 40 years ago and have a bunch of little stones and stropping straps, but I learned to sharpen on rocks as a kid and thus I am not a sophisticate when it comes to sharpening, I have always just done it.

Now that I have more quality Bucks maybe I should take note on upping my sharpening game. Learning keeps life interesting.

GPyro likes this.
  12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Once I get into the timeframe of the 3 & 4 dot era knives. I just set the bevels at 15- 18*, work up a burr. Flip it over and remove the burr on the finer stone. I'm done. DM

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    GPyro, skypeace and jbmonkey like this.
  13. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    A 2 grit stone, like the IB-8 ( India) or a JB-8 (SiC grit) will take you a long way.
    Only 30$ to your door. Work up the burr on the coarse grit, remove it on the fine side. You can strop it on Makeal's leather. Whatever you like, just make sure you remove the burr. Most guided systems work. DM

GPyro likes this.
  14. Makael

Makael Books temporarily closed on sheath orders. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Personal pref included or retaining factory edge in sticky

15. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Sure thing Mak. The factory edges are coarse 250-320 grit. A good utility edge. A flavor many prefer. A stropped edge will be finer. Most paid meat cutters I have visited with sharpen to 180 grit. Then steel their blade during their shift. This gets them thru their shift. Which is the manner I do mine. Except I do edge trailing strokes(burr straightening) on the same stone. It's a coarse, utility edge but it's all I need for opening sacks of feed, cutting hay bale twine or my lunch apple.
    Most meat cutters knives become a convex edge during use. DM

jbmonkey likes this.
  16. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Kitchen knives take a lot of use & abuse. They are made to sharpen easily hold a ok - decent edge and be stainless. Unless my wife tells me earlier, I touch up all her kitchen knives on the 1st of each month. She mostly uses the sabatier, paring, utility and bread knife. She makes all of our bread. From toast to sandwich it's a treat. The carver and melon knives she doesn't use. So, I keep tabs on those. In dealing with a serrated blade there are some different approaches which I'll get into later.
    None of which most like to tackle. DM

JSutter and jbmonkey like this.
  17. bertl

Feb 17, 2011
    I've sharpened chisels and plane blades for years and feel pretty competent with that, but the geometry for those is a lot different than for a knife blade—they are straight and one-sided. When I get to some knives, especially those with a bit of recurve, I feel like I'm sailing in uncharted waters. I think sharpening is like a lot of physical activities, like cutting dovetails or throwing a curveball, you do it over and over so it becomes a reflex action and you don't have to think much about it.

18. bertl

Feb 17, 2011
    David,

Do you think most people worry too much about putting an ultra-smooth razor edge on a blade?

bucksway likes this.
  19. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    No, some. But That's for those that enjoy tinkering. Now, sharpening my razor that's where it's accepted to get OCD. Still, you'll only get about 5-7 good shaves and then have to do it all over again. DM

20. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    At shows over a weekend of sharpening I may sharpen 50 knives. Of those maybe 1 will have s30v steel. A better steel. And not many stand and watch what I do. I take their name, knife, make & model. And I usually go home with a knife or 2 that the owner never came back. I may carry it for a year or 2 until the owner shows back up to claim it and pay me.
    Now, ladies will come and hand me all their kitchen knives. And I will bet you my boots they will always come back for them. They don't dicker on the price. They are just sooo glad to find someone who will sharpen them. Scissors too. DM

Don W, Tecate, JSutter and 1 other person like this.