Buck sheath repair

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by David Martin, Oct 2, 2020.

1. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    My sheath belt loop wore into. Luckily I didn't lose my knife. DM
    20201002_165745.jpg

bucksway, TheJon, Tjstampa and 2 others like this.
  2. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    There was enough leather left on the tab to get a few stitches in. Now, I'm back carrying my knife. DM
    20201002_170951.jpg

3. sassafrassdogs

sassafrassdogs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:o_O

I think you should spend the $10 and get a new sheath.....

jb4570, The Zieg and jbmonkey like this.
  4. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    still good for couple more years. then replace strap with a new piece of leather sewn on and still will go strong. I like seeing things used until they cant. refreshing change to the throw away society I grew up in.

5. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    I'll put a new loop on if you want.

bucksway, jb4570, drei3ree and 3 others like this.
  6. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Jbmonk, that's exactly why I do repairs like this. My Grandparents burned the repair thinking into me. Thanks gents I have a new 80's era sheath that I bought at a show.
    I may have to bring it out to carry my 110 in next year. I know I'm hard on sheaths. As I work a lot in the grit and grime. A office boy didn't fit in my plans. DM

drei3ree and jbmonkey like this.
  7. sassafrassdogs

sassafrassdogs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    The reason I said that is because it's ready to tear in the middle also....I also repair things until it's time to replace....

Next time you might lose your knife....

BuckShack and jbmonkey like this.
  8. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Don't say that but your right. I'll keep checking it. This was just to see if some others get crafty. DM

sassafrassdogs, jbmonkey and Makael like this.
  9. Badhammer

Badhammer

Jun 8, 2009
    A little polish and that should buff right out. :D

Lesknife, jbmonkey and Makael like this.
  10. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    No sense to discard a sheath just because it has a wore out belt loop. I would stitch on a new loop and re stitch the rest of it. Slather some leather balm and black polish on it and it’s good as new only with character.

jbmonkey, David Martin and mnblade like this.
  11. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    I've replaced the strap before. In these pictures I'm replacing the flat style strap with a loop strap. I've also restitched one when the stitching failed, but don't have pictures of that. Either way the process is the same. Cut the sheath apart. Sew the strap on. resew the sheath.

Here I'm using the old strap to mark the stitching holes in the new strap.
    [​IMG]

Strap sewed on and starting to restitch the sheath.
    [​IMG]

All done.
    [​IMG]

I didn't cut the rivets at the top of the sheath, but it would simplify the process, as long as one had some replacement rivets.

O.B.

st8yd, jb4570, Old Hunter and 8 others like this.
  12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Great, Biker. I like it. Good job. This gives me some ideas. Thanks. Mine is a late 70's divot top sheath. So the rivets will remain.. DM

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    jbmonkey and Lesknife like this.
  13. Tjstampa

Tjstampa Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2019
    I would put some stitching along the whole loop to reinforce it

Lesknife and jbmonkey like this.
  14. jec88

jec88

Mar 6, 2012
    David, can you post a pic of the other side of that sheath for those of us that like the look of an old well-worn sheaths?

jbmonkey likes this.
  15. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Here you go. DM
    20201007_150149.jpg

16. RAZORBLADES

RAZORBLADES

Aug 14, 2006
    Classic low rider sheath from Buck,I would repair it also,I like my old sheaths and although learher will wear over time,it's also repair friendly when it comes time to fix!

Old Hunter, David Martin and jbmonkey like this.
  17. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Anything I've carried on my person for years I feel a strange reluctance to replace or throw away. Especially belts and wallets. I have some from the 80's and 90's that are wore out still in my closet.

18. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Great job repairing something instead of just replacing it.
    I grew up in this modern throwaway society and I always admired my grandfathers fondness for doing this.
    My dad just breaks out the super glue and duct tape to fix the cheap things that fail on him and it never lasts, but buy something worth repairing and do a good job of fixing it when needed and theres no reason to just toss it out.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    jbmonkey likes this.
  19. timmus

timmus

Apr 4, 2006
    I just had two sheaths repaired by a local boot maker...Though the leather was still fine, the stitching was completely falling apart. One of them still had the rivets at the top of the stitching but the other one, both rivets were missing. Has anyone sourced these? I'd like to re-install them if possible. I neglected to ask the boot maker when I was there where I might buy some. He did mention that they were missing and said anything he had would be too large. I was going to ask but we got sidetracked in our conversation. I also thought I could just run some black waxed thread through the holes a few times, tie it off and call it done.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  20. Tjstampa

Tjstampa Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2019
    Do you have a Tandy leather supply near you? They may have the right size.