Buck went along

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by David Martin, Nov 16, 2020.

1. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Longbow, you're a lefty. DM

2. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    st8yd, the Rem. model 11 was mfg. off the Browning patent.
    Did you find the 501 to be enough knife to dress cat squirrels? DM

3. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Ya, it is stamped on the barrel.
    Ive used the 501 on squirrels for over 30 yrs.

4. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    When I started hunting on my own around 13 yo before I knew about Buck, I used a large stockman with about a 3 inch main blade for cleaning small game and birds and medium size critters like coyote, badgers, raccoons and such. That was the size I liked then. I had a few different ones through jr. and sr high school, some old timers and uncle Henry, I could make use of a large stockman more than any other knife. Occasionally I would use one of my dads fixed blades when hunting big game or out camping. I think I stayed with a stockman till my early 20s when I got a Imperial lockback off of the Mac tools truck and it was cheap junk. I think if I had known about the Buck 301 or 307 that’s probably all I would have used back then. After my first 301 in 1989 I have mostly stayed with Buck and now have several different models.

Grateful, Liberando, GPyro and 2 others like this.
  5. longbow1968

longbow1968

Sep 9, 2020
    Ha ha, not a lefty, but a bottom eject gun with a left-handed safety that needs converting. My other rabbit gun is a Fox double 16ga that belonged to my great uncle. I swap them around so they don’t feel neglected. :D
    [​IMG]

6. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Longbow, I knew it was something along those lines. Those bottom eject Browning pumps have a strong frame. A Fox is a nice gun. DM

7. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    It was cold but I managed to get a Gambel rooster yesterday. Used my 317. DM
    20210215_122752.jpg

RAZORBLADES, Old Hunter, Xr6x and 5 others like this.
  8. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    What would you gents call the 2nd blade shape on the 317? DM

9. longbow1968

longbow1968

Sep 9, 2020
    I don’t have a 317 (that is one on my gun show list to find), but I do have a similar 2-blade Kabar that was probably also made by Camillus. I have always though of that second blade as more of a small game/filet type blade, similar to a 102 Woodsman blade. Nice knife and rooster...
    [​IMG]

10. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I can’t be positive but when I was a kid the knives with upswept blades were called skinning blades. Then the drop points became popular and they were noted as skinning knives.

longbow1968 and jbmonkey like this.
  11. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Nice Bucks and birds
    Hawt

David Martin and jbmonkey like this.
  12. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Hawk

jbmonkey likes this.
  13. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    id call it a skinner blade/small game blade. like Les that sort of very slight upswept blade shape always made me think of it as a skinner. likewise the size of it always made me think of a small game cleaning knife. not sure that's right but I always thought of it that way.

longbow1968 likes this.
  14. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, you gents are hitting at it. I wasn't sure and like you I thought I had read in some of Bucks early literature, that blade was called a skinner. However, in Blade's Guide To Knives that blade is named as a 'Turkish clip point'. It has a picture and the shape is an exact match. Thus, I wondered...
    Anyway, I used that blade to process the rooster and it worked great. So, I wondered... Thanks. DM

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Lesknife, jbmonkey and longbow1968 like this.
  15. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    longbow, yours and the Buck blade are very close to the same. Here it is with a straight edge at the plunge line, showing it has a clipped blade. DM
    20210215_203330.jpg

jbmonkey and longbow1968 like this.
  16. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I plan to use this blade for bird processing and skinning, when I use this model. DM

jbmonkey and Xr6x like this.
  17. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    So, really this model, 'folding clasp hunter' has 2 clip blades. Unlike the Case model. DM

jbmonkey likes this.
  18. longbow1968

longbow1968

Sep 9, 2020
    David do you carry the 317 in a belt sheath or pocket? The Kabar I have is pretty hefty. I often just put it in the pocket of my M65 field jacket.

David Martin likes this.
  19. desmobob

desmobob

May 5, 2003
    I use some Browning-based shotguns myself: the Franchi 48 AL. I have two of the "Deluxe" models; one in 28ga. and one in 20ga. They each weigh just under 5.5 lbs.
    [​IMG]

20. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    David, I would have called that blade a "skinning blade" but you have shown it to be a Turkish style Clip blade. Of course among hunters the terms used for blade shapes are much wider and less precise than among knife collectors. I would have called that blade a skinning blade until today. As long as we are posting pictures rabbits, shotguns, and Buck Knives, here is an old one from several years back - 16 Ga Model 12 pump from 1948 and a Buck 307 Wrangler from about 1980. OH
    [​IMG]