1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Buckey Burl vs Ironwood

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by onionfan, May 14, 2019.

1. onionfan

onionfan

Nov 29, 2008
    I'm getting ready to order my dad a custom shop 110 for his 60th birthday and I'm trying to decide which handle material. Could you guys be so kind as to post some pictures of recent custom shop Bucks with these two woods? Thanks.

marcus52AR likes this.
  2. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Nice selections and sorry, no pics :( Tough choice.
    May be someone like @Makael or @bucklife301 might stumble across this post and possibly could be of some help.
    FWIW, a few random thoughts :rolleyes:
    I'm thinking that since the Ironwood has a more linear appearance and the Burl is more...figured, which might be a better fit for his personality?
    Which would be more of a "WOW' factor to him?
    Which might he find to be more unusual in appearance?
    Which one would he be more likely to proudly show off and say "My son gave me that!"
    Have you played with the Bolster options to see which combo you think he might like better?
    Either one would be a fine choice and I'm sure he would be pleased with either one. I know I would be :)
    OG

onionfan likes this.
  3. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I don't have them from the Buck Custom Shop, so I'm not posting images; but, while I like both, I've been a bigger fan of Buckeye Burl recently...and the Buck knives that I have configured (but not yet purchased for various reasons - <cough>want blade steel options</cough>) were in Buckeye Burl.

onionfan and OLd_gUY like this.
  4. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I think these are the handles.

[​IMG]

5. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

Mhead, OLd_gUY, Brhowser87 and 4 others like this.
  6. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Check out this thread with a Buck 112 in buckeye burl and a 110 in ironwood. They both look phenomenal, but the buckeye burl is out of this world in my opinion.

OLd_gUY and onionfan like this.
  7. onionfan

onionfan

Nov 29, 2008
    Thank you for the pics. Both are beautiful, but I went with ironwood. Nickle bolsters, pins, finger grooved, with an s30v clip point plain edge and brown leather sheath.

Dad has a 110 from the late 70s or early 80s he used to carry. His hunting knife is a woodsman from probably the same time frame. He's got a cadet in his pocket everyday that I traded him 20 or so years ago. He has a mini Buck he throws in his pocket when he needs something lightweight. I gave him a 110 lt last Father's Day and a 112 slim last Christmas. He has several other brands of knives as well but I dont think I can go wrong giving him another Buck.:D

OLd_gUY and Fixall like this.
  8. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    I vote for Buckeye Burlwood....

9. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Hey it's me, your Dad... Let me give you my updated mailing address. I just moved you know.

Lol, but being serious... That knife is going to look amazing and I imagine your Dad will love it!

onionfan and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  10. onionfan

onionfan

Nov 29, 2008
    I'll post some pics in 6 weeks or so... whenever it comes in.:cool:

OLd_gUY and Fixall like this.
  11. Canvsbk

Canvsbk Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I too would vote Burlwood but would have to recuse myself as I have never held the ironwood. I’m sure it will be awesome and as a dad I can tell you it most likely won’t matter which you choose as it’s a pretty special gift.

12. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I see you hav ordered it already, so this is my take to anyone else wondering.
    With burl its going to be pretty typical and you know what your getting.
    With ironwood, i have seen at least one 110 with beautiful figure but most i have seen are fairly straight grained, which seldom excites me personally.

onionfan and OLd_gUY like this.
  13. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    He's gonna be one happy dude. Very cool :thumbsup:

onionfan likes this.
  14. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I meant to get this picture up yesterday but you've already placed the order so it is late. Here is buckeye burl on a 110 and ironwood on a 317. DM
    Hunter&Trail.jpg

onionfan, Mhead, bucklife301 and 2 others like this.
  15. onionfan

onionfan

Nov 29, 2008
    That pic makes me second guess my decision lol.

Most of the pictures I had looked at made the buckey burl look like it had a gray hue and not very brown. I was hoping for a reddish brown to really pop with the nickel silver.

But I am sure it will be awesome and I'll be happy with it. Dad will like it because of the thought so it's a win win.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  16. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, my knives look different than Mak's.?? It could be, just whats available. DM

onionfan likes this.
  17. gsea

gsea

Feb 7, 2014
    IMO ironwood was the right choice. It's more classic imo and not as busy and real sleek.

onionfan likes this.
  18. drei3ree

drei3ree Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I like the ironwood too! You're a great son, and I'd have been very happy to get an ironwood 110 when I turned sixty. :thumbsup:

19. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I only have one ironwood-scaled Buck, this 501. Ironwood is highly variable; some is plain like this 501, some highly figured, with most falling somewhere in between. Make sure you post pictures when it arrives.
    [​IMG]

jmh33, jbmonkey, OLd_gUY and 5 others like this.
  20. kossetx

kossetx

Apr 11, 2017
    Dave, Thats not like any buckeye Burl I've ever seen. Looks a whole lot like redwood Burl.