1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

budget fixed edc

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by baldegale, Apr 6, 2019.

1. baldegale

baldegale

Mar 1, 2017
    i know this is like my third post about this topic but this time it isnt for me its for my dad, now that im getting a fixed for work he wants one too, his would mainly be used for like opening boxes and the occasional heavy cutting task like cutting the plastic ties on lumber bundles. he wants a sub $100 (prob closer to $50 and less) and 3.5-4” blade

2. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    Morakniv.

3. redcanoe

redcanoe Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Have to agree with Reitwagen.The mora is a bargain.A good fixed blade for very little cash.

MJ713 and GABaus like this.
  4. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    ESEE izula, 3, or 4. Good quality steel that's easy to maintain. Can grab them on the exchange for less than a $100 Bill usually.

knoefz, Boxer .45 and GABaus like this.
  5. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
  6. KnifeRep

KnifeRep Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Under $51, Cold Steel Pendleton, a Japan made one in VG-1 steel, you can find them on eBay.

$51-100, TOPS Knives UTC-02 or a Mini Scandi MSK

7. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Good stuff ! ! !
    I have both the Pendleton Hunter and the Mini Pendleton Hunter . . . both in 3V but that adds some $.
    Pretty thick though in the blade spines.

PS: Oh yeah I was going to add what sucks so bad about those :
    THE SHEATHs dull the blades. I can't carry them unless I use an after market sheath. Too much fooling around for a gift.

KnifeRep likes this.
  8. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    BK 14? 24 if it comes up on the exchange, etc.

Yo Mama and CanadaKnifeGuy like this.
  9. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    I own two in the size range. A Kizer Little River Bowie and a Fox Knives Njall. I like them both for their own reasons, the Kizer is cheaper and you can remove the scales easily and change them out if you want, it also locks better into your hand and has a more acute tip if that's something that might be useful. The Njall looks nicer (Satin+Micarta) and has a more classy sheath. As a work knife I would recommend the Kizer, it'S about that budget range as well.

10. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    How about the Schrade SCH55 Blackbird? There is a good thread about it here on BF.com

Henry Beige and CanadaKnifeGuy like this.
  11. baldegale

baldegale

Mar 1, 2017
    recommend him that one already and he didnt like it. he has a hard time spending money on knives, the only knives he has are 2 schf9s, a mora companion HD, a spyderco para 3 (only cause i bought him it), and another small $20 schrade that i cant remember the numbers of, and a bunch of ebay knives. trying to bring him to the dark side

12. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    Moras and the like are great and would get the job done.
    But dad needs some excitement at work
    He could probably use all the help from a strongarm...

13. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    So you’re looking for something in the $30 - $70 price range with a little wow factor. Something that will surprise your Dad with the value and usefulness to show him why it can be worth it to spend a few extra bucks on a knife. Sound about right?

Just browsing BladeHQ, I see a few that stand out that haven’t been mentioned.

The Schrade Small frontier. Its a 3.5”, coated 1095 blade with a micarta handle. Normally goes for ~$45 but it’s discontinued so it’s selling for $20.

The Real Steel Pointman. 3.625” 14c28n blade. It’s Sandvik steel which your Dad is already familiar with, but it’s a step up from the 12c27 on his Companion. It goes for $63.

The Ka-bar TDI/Hinderer Hinderance. It’s a 3.56”, coated 1095 cro-van wharncliffe blade with amazing ergonomics. It was really designed for self defense, but it performs really well in a warehouse environment. It goes for $75.

If your willing to spend up to $100 though... I’d hit the exchange and see what the craftsmen there have to offer.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    ATJ999 and GlockMonster30 like this.
  14. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Ka-Bar Little Finn.

Zieg

Reitwagen likes this.
  15. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    ESEE 3 or 3HM. Outstanding knife, tough, easy to sharpen, good heat treat on 1095, decent sheath, lots of aftermarket support, lifetime warranty.

Lots of ESEE's make great everday carry knives as well. Try one!

16. iareconfuse

iareconfuse

Mar 28, 2019
    I don't get what that guy means when he says he can change the Strongarm to fit his mission... How exactly does one intend on altering a fixed blade knife for the specific purposes of a mission?... Micarta scales if blood will be involved, and G10 or FRN if just dirt is involved?.... That has to be the most vague marketing line I've ever heard.

GIRLYmann likes this.
  17. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    Henry Beige likes this.
  18. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    Err, figure its about being able to mount the sheath in multiple ways. Given that the sheath has modular detachable parts to suit an individual's preffered or suitably required mode of carry on a case by case knife carring mission around the workplace ;-)

19. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    For rough work? Order 10 Hultafors GK knives and be happy. They are bomb proof and have very tough SK5 steel. I like them a lot!

Henry Beige likes this.
  20. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    I still need to get around to ordering one of these. Such a good value, and designed by one of our forum members to boot.

sabre cat likes this.