1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Burgundy micarta models

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Badhammer, Jun 11, 2019.

1. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Nice, just missing the 106. DM

2. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    A good buddy of mine gave me this sweet 501
    [​IMG]

3. Haebbie

Haebbie Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Here is one. ;)

Haebbie
    C4F58076-C3AC-4C8B-B4AA-46E121A5C798.jpeg

4. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Haebbie, thank you. I have a 2 line 106 like that. Something odd about the maroon micarta is, it came out in 1973 on the Empress Trio. But here we find it on a 2 line 106, likely dated 1968.? Which is 6 years prior to being used on the model 200. I'm certain this color material was used all through the 70's on different models. DM

jbmonkey likes this.
  5. Haebbie

Jun 27, 2006
    Thank you, David, for your detailed Answer. As I understood Buck used another time line for the 106 hatchet in comparison to the 100 knife series. My other two black micarta 106 have a two line stamp too. I don‘t know how long Buck made 106 two liners. I only can assume they had a lot of two line stamped 106 blades and they sold them through the years. I can’t remember that I ever saw a micarta three liner neither inverted nor upright. Another guess is: Buck started the three line stamp together with the wooden scales for the handle. David, what do you think?

Haebbie

jbmonkey likes this.
  6. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, I have both of the ones you mention, a 2 line maroon micarta and the 3 line 106 with wood laminate 'birch'. I have not seen a 3 line
    106 with micarta handles. DM

Haebbie and jbmonkey like this.
  7. gsea

gsea

Feb 7, 2014
    Sure throw a 317 in my face lol

jbmonkey likes this.
  8. Haebbie

Jun 27, 2006
    Well, that’s it, I think. The two line 106 maroon micarta seems to be real. (I hope so :) ;) ).

Haebbie

jbmonkey likes this.
  9. Haebbie

Jun 27, 2006
    Why should I do this!?

Haebbie

jbmonkey likes this.
  10. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I wonder if it was a supply issue as to when and what models got what material and what color. I recall Joe Houser commenting on the use of yellow micarta for spacers for the 100th Anniversary 119 model. The supplier ran out of the burgundy and Buck was in the middle of a production run and had to use the yellow for spacers on some of the 119s. Just a SWAG!:)

11. Stumps

Stumps Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2011
    I made a post earlier in this thread that I had a 1973 after hours knife made by a former Buck employee.
    He also made a 124 with the same Burgundy handle, but I have since sold that one.
    I found a couple photos of it tonight.
    He added no pins and he made it a slim version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jmh33, m r merrill, Bloefield and 5 others like this.
  12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    @Haebbie , he is referring to post 8. DM

13. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    @Badhammer , the 2 colors are the same (maroon and burgundy). DM

14. bertl

bertl Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Technically, maroon is brown pigment added to red, and burgundy is purple pigment added to red; but sometimes the difference is hard to see—it probably depends on who is mixing the colors.

Bert

pjsjr likes this.
  15. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I think this has some factor in it. For example on the Empress Trio model 200 it is hard to find a set with black micarta handles. Especially with square handles in black micarta. But I have come across several sets with maroon micarta handles and they are always radiused handles. So, between the black handle version to the maroon micarta version the handle style was changed. This could be consistent with other models using this material? DM

jbmonkey and pjsjr like this.
  16. MT_Pokt

MT_Pokt Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Welcome back @Stumps

Thought you might have left civilization behind.

17. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I need friends like that!

I only have burgundy micarta in the form of the 501. I picked one up when I was in high school in the late '70s, purchased at the local JC Penney, as were most of my buck knives from then (118, 119, 301).

[​IMG]

18. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    @Stumps , I like the nickle frame with the drop point blade. You hiking near Reserve? DM

19. Stumps

Stumps Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Thanks Greg and David.
    Haven't been hiking this year and it's driving me crazy. Hopefully in the next couple months, but it will be in the east. Hoping for a trip in the west next year.
    Got into long distance canoe tripping and have been loving that.
    Getting ready for a big trip later this year.

Still love and use Buck knives, just not much of a collector anymore.

20. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Great! Thanks for the up date. Have fun and be safe. DM