Buying First Belt Grinder - Help

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by RedWolf4, Jun 8, 2020.

1. RedWolf4

RedWolf4

Oct 20, 2019
    Hey all,

Just getting into knife making, looking to purchase a good belt grinder. I've checked the forums and basically everywhere else online, and the general consensus I'm getting is that there are lots of good options available. I can't seem to make up my mind. Also - I'm definitely not interested in building a grinder, I would like to buy one.

Some companies that I've seen and look like they might work for me include Bader, Reeder, and KMG grinders. (Just listing a few that I've read good things about, obviously open to other brands/options).

I'm looking for a 2x72 that can easily fit different accessories (ex. concave grinding wheel, flat grinding jig, bevel/angle rest).

My budget is ideally under $2,500 USD all in (including additional wheels, parts, etc., but I am somewhat flexible. I also live in Ontario, Canada, so ideally a product that ships from the Northeast US rather than the south or southwest would be ideal to save on what looks like pretty large shipping costs.

At the end of the day though I want a good quality grinder that will last so if I need to spend a little more, feel free to educate me. Thanks

2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Pheer 454 is a good one to look at.

RedWolf4 and SS369 like this.
  3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Take a good look at the Reeder. Excellent grinder.

RedWolf4, Ken H> and Keith Nix like this.
  4. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    Where I looking to buy a commercial 2X72 grinder the Reeder would certainly be my choice

RedWolf4 likes this.
  5. WhitleyStu

WhitleyStu Keep'em scary sharp!!! Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 8, 2006
    Had an older KMG then upgraded to a new Reeder with accessories last year. I am very pleased with the quality and operation of the Reeder 2x72 and dealing with Don and Greg Reeder was a great experience.

RedWolf4 likes this.
  6. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    I was in the same boat as you. This Ameribrade was my choice. Slipjoints and smaller knives are what I'll be making. All in around $2200 shipped. Should be here in another week or so I hope!
    Screenshot_20200609-222351_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200609-222402_Chrome.jpg

RedWolf4 likes this.
  7. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    Jason, what led you to chose the Ameribrade over some of the other options?

RedWolf4 and Signalprick like this.
  8. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    I got everything I wanted to get started right at my budget so.......$$$. ;)

RedWolf4 and CasePeanut like this.
  9. downsizingnow48

downsizingnow48 Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 25, 2014
    RedWolf4 likes this.
  10. Aidenag

Aidenag

Apr 16, 2009
    Not factoring in budget, the grinders i like the most would be the Tw90(i own this one), Northridge, Broderick, and most recently the Iron Creek Grinder, which im drooling over as it looks to possibly be the new king of grinders.

For more budget that Reeder does seem really solid, same with a lot of other choices now. Things really have changed from just 7 or 8 years ago when your options were basically KMG, Burr, and the Tw90

RedWolf4 and Willie71 like this.
  11. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I would go with Northridge if I was going turnkey. That or the TW90.

RedWolf4 likes this.
  12. Cliff Carter Knives

Cliff Carter Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 30, 2011
    Pheer 454 is an excellent machine, priced right and can run with the bigger name brands. Plus, Jose is so easy to work with and his customer service is top notch.

Went through the same process as you and looked at a dozen different brands. Ended up with the pheer and I love it.

RedWolf4 likes this.
  13. AI2

AI2

Feb 3, 2019
    I live in Ontario as well, and I'm currently putting together my belt grinder. I can tell you, for $2500, that's a really large budget to work with. You can PM me if you want some tips sourcing parts in your area. Could save you a lot of money.

RedWolf4 likes this.