Buying patterns you don't like

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Bigbobg, May 12, 2020.

1. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    I only buy what I like.

2. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    I've never bought a knife I didn't like or just to have the pattern. I have bought some that I didn't end up liking as much as I thought I would.
    Most knives have been purchased with the intent to carry and use them, not to collect.

315, Jack Black, mrknife and 2 others like this.
  3. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I try to buy only knives that I like . A very few times I have bought one that I thought I would like and ended up not liking it at all . There have been some that I would not buy even with a very good deal on it .

Harry

315 likes this.
  4. rishma

rishma

Jun 22, 2008
    That’s my favorite 3 blade combo - clip, sheepsfoot, awl.

hornetguy likes this.
  5. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    When I first became interested in the variety of traditional pocket knives, I bought lots of patterns that I had no idea whether I would like or not. After using them, some became unexpected favorites (canoe, sowbelly stockman, lambsfoot) and others turned out to be patterns I didn't care much for (full size trapper, congress, square-bolstered stockman). Once I know I don't like a pattern, I don't buy that pattern anymore. (One exception is a 3.5" single-bladed lockback; I used to keep buying those and then giving them away because I STILL didn't care for them. I've resisted the urge to buy that pattern for quite a while now, so maybe I'm "cured". :rolleyes:) But I'll continue to buy patterns that I've never used before just to see whether I like them or not.

- GT

6. dsutton24

dsutton24 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2018
    I buy what I like. What I like can change 200 times an hour, but hey...

Wharn, JohnDF and Ron Sabbagh like this.
  7. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    what uses do you have for an awl?

I’m trying to justify having an awl, but I’m a city dweller and don’t own livestock. Can I pierce a cigar with it?

8. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    So.... how many GEC 29's do you have? :D

I have to admit, that is a great combo.

9. rishma

rishma

Jun 22, 2008
    Piercing all manner of things, and I use it for scraping instead of a knife blade. I keep an edge sharp so it works like a knife blade I’m not afraid to abuse....a little

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Stelth and Ron Sabbagh like this.
  10. rishma

rishma

Jun 22, 2008
    sadly none. They look fantastic and the cover choices are outstanding!

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  11. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    They're great for putting holes in your belt.

JohnDF likes this.
  12. Jim Bob

Jim Bob

Apr 16, 2019
    Well I have a goal of owning one of each Case pattern for a display I'm building out of old barn wood so I have bought a few that I would never carry, like a teardrop. It's an odd design, yet has a sleekness and beauty to it. I also have a nice full size trapper that is just way too big to carry although beautifully designed.

There are several others I will buy just for the collection as time goes on that I will just admire but never use.

I only have two that I carry and that's a yellow CV peanut when I'm out working as a carpet cleaner and a sodbuster jr. for working around the farm.

Bloefield and JohnDF like this.
  13. Tjstampa

Tjstampa Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2019
    I only buy what I think I would use. I was surprised at how often I use the Spey blade on a stockman to open tougher clam shell packaging.

CHNeal likes this.
  14. CHNeal

CHNeal Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 24, 2019
    As others have said as well...I
    Keep the Spey scalpel sharp for just such tasks

15. Jathes

Jathes Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Stockmen and trappers usually have three strikes against them for me. Slim serpentine frame, slender clip blade and spey blade.
    I have two stockmen (GEC 66 & Case 75) with full clips and wider serpentine frames.