1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camp knife in 52100

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by crimsonfalcon07, Sep 26, 2013.

1. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First time working with 52100, and I've finally moved away from the novice habit of using really thick stock, although this is still thicker than what many of you use. It's 3/16" stock from Aldo. 9" blade (measuring just the cutting edge), 14.75" OAL, POB at ricasso, handled in bubinga, steel pins. Also my first time using a scotchbrite belt. They put a nice even looking finish on rather quickly, if you don't mind the belt look. I have a lot of trouble with getting a mirror finish, TBH. I think I'm improving from my earlier work. I shudder to look at some of the pieces I made last year...

2. sunshadow

sunshadow

Oct 2, 2006
    Looks like a nice piece. Thin is good for cutting ability.

-Page

3. BallewBlade

BallewBlade

Oct 10, 2011
    Yeah thin blades cut very very well but I think thick blades look cool and of course are good for chopping.

4. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I like it

5. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks, all! The thinner stock seems to do just fine chopping, particularly with a slightly forward balance, I find. I suspect that's why Stacy and some of the others say that they only use thinner stuff even than 3/16".

6. worldwood

worldwood

Sep 30, 2012
    Man this is a sweet blade in great steel!!

Why is it in the hammer and tongs section?

7. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    ^^Cause I'm a novice maker. Thanks for the good words though!

8. worldwood

worldwood

Sep 30, 2012
    Nothing novice about this one!

And your welcome, the good words are deserved for that excellent knife!