1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Camping conundrum

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Wild Willie, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 19, 2018
    After countless hours of perusing these forums I finally feel the need to throw a question to the to people who have answered so many others. I leave for an annual week long sojourn in the Adirondack mountains a week from Monday. The difference this year from years past is that I've finally dipped my toe into the fascinating world of bladesmithing. Against all of the advice offered here by those who know infinitely more about the subject than myself I have been using pieces of a coil spring scavenged from the scrap pile of my mechanic. (Mostly because I find taking something not even remotely blade shaped and making something sharp from it, secondly because I'm self employed with two young kids and I'm broke most of the time.) One such end result has been riding in my pocket or around my neck for the last several months, it's held up quite well doing all of the things I do for work and play at home. Mostly cutting rope (I'm a tree guy), opening beer, trimming strings, opening mail and all of the sundry tasks that knives are used for. I have used it to baton kindling for the stove and it's survived, but it's kind of small for such tasks. Edge retention has been acceptable and for a short blade I'm able to flex it quite a bit and it snaps back to true (for a short blade at least.). I usually use an axe or a condor lochnessmuk for heavier tasks, curiosity was the only thing that drove me to do some of the things I've done with it. Now my question; do I trust this blade to ride with me on a camping trip? Or do I fall back to a factory knife (Kellam Wolverine) to be sure I have a reliable blade?

2. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    And if anyone could walk me through how to post a picture I'd appreciate it

3. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    If weight is not an issue, you could take both. Personally, I bring a couple of blades on multi-day trips and day hikes, just to play around, compare and learn about the different blades I am currently into.

Also, on your trip, you would have a trusty back up just in case.

4. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    That's kind of the way I was leaning, I unfortunately have a serious problem when it comes to edged objects as I'm sure everyone here can relate to. I've been trying to lighten the load but I just can't seem to shake carrying multiple blades.

5. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    Here's the side by side comparison. Please take it easy on me it's only the third or fourth blade I've forged 1555800542947306125000.jpg

6. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    On camping or hiking trips, I have a fixed, 2 folders, and a smaller backup blade. Depends if it's a day hike or an overnighter but that's usually my MO.

7. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Take both or just take a good sized folder to do smaller jobs. I have always liked the idea of a Nesmuk trio, so take both, and find that other third item to make the trio complete. Maybe I missed something, but what type of camping are you doing? Is weight a factor? Or is it for a quick or extended getaway? Half the fun, (and have the fun) is trying and experimenting with what you have to see what works best for you. Let us know how it goes and pics if you can to prove it happened. :D

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  8. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    Gransfors small forest axe, a silky big boy folding saw, and an opinel number 8 will compliment my fixed blade(s). Weight shouldn't be too big an issue. Planning on a short paddle in followed by some day trips to hit some peaks. I'll be with my dad and younger brother, 50, and 27 respectively. Nothing too strenuous, just a recharge time before we really pick up for the season. Unfortunately we really never know what we're going to do until we're doing it. We suck at making plans. I guess I just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't crazy thinking about taking 2 narrow tang fixed blades for nothing more than an experiment. I'm far from an ultralight backpacking fanatic. I've just been trying to cut out anything superfluous in my loadout

9. rover

rover

Jul 9, 2004
    They both look great and I would take both. Could lose one and need a backup and they don't look too large.

10. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2007
    It is extremely unlikely that you would need your knife for tasks your little knife could handle.... and it’s very unlikely it will fail

11. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Would you be needing to process wood or just use what you find to make a fire? If not needing to baton for firewood, I think the smaller stick tang knives would do fine, you have an ax I guess you would take, but I have heard that there is enough dead wood around and you can find fatwood. I use a lot of pinecones as a starter since there is enough resin to get a fire going, we do not really cook over a fire, but have experimented with grate over a railroad tire ring.

12. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    You’ve been using it daily. It works for you. Take it and enjoy it.

4mer_FMF and cbach8tw like this.
  13. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    I have other tools for wood processing, an axe and hand saw. I've used the homemade knife to split kindling just to see how it did. We do all of our cooking over wood, there's no shortage of dead and down wood to use. I've gotten odd looks periodically from aquaintances when I say I habitually carry more than one knife. I always come here to make sure I'm not crazy in those instances. I was wondering how many guys would trust their own early work over a factory edge or just hedge the bet and take both. Thank you guy tons for the feedback

14. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I always take a minimum of 5 or 6 knives, when I go out into the woods. The more the merrier!

Wild Willie and MarriedTheMedic like this.
  15. Angus McGunnigle

Angus McGunnigle

Jan 1, 2013
    Take it, use it and have a great time.
    Maybe take a backup, or maybe not.......my back up usually is a CS Finn bear that weights next to nothing.
    You made a knife from a mysterious coil spring steel that is working well. Be proud of it.
    I use the book “50 dollar knife shop” by Wayne Goddard as my Basic reference for knifemakimg.
    He advocates using all sorts of whatever you can get when starting out. The whole point is doing it and learning and improving over time. I got to meet him once and it was awesome.
    IMO, using new and identifiable steel is the best option, but when trying to learn a new skill and spend little dollars as possible, some springs, hacksaw blades, mower blades, etc is perfectly acceptable. My first bunch of blades were lawnmower blade steel, files, edged blades, plow discs, whatever I could scrounge ! Have fun !

Wild Willie likes this.
  16. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    You'd be fine even if you broke or lost it, given what you have.

I say take it, enjoy it and keep learning!!!

Envious of your getting out.

17. Sigsog226

Sigsog226 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I would take your homemade piece for sure if you don't want to carry both. It would be the perfect time to test out your own knife. And if something does happen to it, you got a quality axe, folder, saw and the loadout of 2 others to pick up the slack of 1 lost knife(although im sure it will do fine).

18. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    Definitely glad I came here. A good friend of mine told me to go factory just yesterday. Not to mention without the homemade job if be without an American made blade for the trip, and that might just be inappropriate.

19. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    I always take a couple of knives on camping trips. You should too.

20. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I always take at least 4 or 5 knives of various sizes for different uses ... I would take both and always have a backup for any extended trip ... or trip into dense or steep terrain just in case.