Can & bottle openers on knives in 2020, purposeless

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Houlahound, May 14, 2020.

1. braillediver

braillediver Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2007
    I've never gone thirst for lack of a bottle opener. But I have passed on several knives that included a bottle opener.

Cork screw? All the wine I ever drank had a screw cap. I did save a neighbors New Years Eve when he knocked and asked if I had a cork screw- A swiss army knife I had had one.

2. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    It sounds to me that you would just be better off carrying both a knife and a screwdriver.

3. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    If I open this beer then it has a purpose [​IMG]

4. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Parcel hook is a lot more useless than a corkscrew, IMO.

Silent H, trevitrace and Lee D like this.
  5. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    While it may have been years (decades?) since I've had a beverage that I needed a cap remover before I could enjoy it, I have used the screwdriver portion of that blade many times.
    As for the can opener ... the canned foods I could afford (generic and house brands) when I was still preparing my own meals rarely had that new fangled pull tab or key open. SPAM, Sardines, Smoked Oysters, Cuttlefish, and Octopi being the exceptions. Canned shrimp still needed the can opener, if I recall correctly. (no guarantees)
    Still, that (one piece) post WW 2 can opener on the Scout/Camp/Demo knife is the best I've found. (The SAK can opener is a close second place.)

Also, the cap lifter/bottle opener and can opener can both be used as a precision scraper. The cap lifter/bottle opener can be used to pry open a can of varnish, stain, or paint. (the leather punch can double as a handy dandy awl) Thus they are worth having, and are not "obsolete", "worthless" or "useless". :)

The one "blade" I've never had much use for is the cork screw. I might have used it once in all my 65 years, and that was back around 1977 when I had a New Years party in which my then live-in girlfriend and I was the only ones (out of 10 people including family members invited) who showed up. (Yes. I learned my lesson. That was the first and last time I attempted to host a party or gathering.)

I've never been much of a wine/champagne drinker ... on the rare occasions I bought wine, it was in a box and had a screw on/off cap. (last box was about a year Anna half ago. No recollection of when the box before that was ... I'd guess it be close to 40 - 43 year ago. It might a been when the boxed wine first hit the market? (it was legal for 18 and over to join the military, learn how to get shot at, how to shoot back, and get a beer(s) and/or shot(s) of Rye whisky, Jack Daniels, or even wormy Tequila, when I bought my first box of wine.)

Until Victorinox brought out/invented that itty bitty screw driver that screws into the cork screw, I had no use for one.
    (I still "need" (note quotes) to get one of them itty bitty screw drivers ...)

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  6. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    Yuppers!! I have NO idea where the corkscrew is at the house or if it works.. my wife also has bad luck with manual can openers . I Kno where both my corkscrew and can opener are at all times.
    And the corkscrew keeps tract of my Mini screwdriver that I use to check screws on my glasses or reset my Elog and a cpl other things .

7. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Use mine fairly often.
    [​IMG]

James Y, Insipid Moniker and guy g like this.
  8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    At work I do and jve always got a small multitool on me anyways.

I have options to get the job done, I would simply be happier if most didn't include a cap lifter but that's just how it Is and I've accepted it.

allenC likes this.
  9. Mako109

Mako109

Dec 17, 2008
    I can attest, a cap lifter and can opener can be very useful while traveling in some foreign countries.

22-rimfire and allenC like this.
  10. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I EDC a Spartan. The bottle opener is a great little pry bar and flat head screwdriver. The can opener is a great metal finger nail and phillips screwdriver. The corkscrew is very useful at opening knots and holds the little eyeglass screwdriver.

I've used them all for their original purposes also. :) All beer here still requires bottle openers, I've broken off loads of ring pulls on cans and some still don't have the ring pull, that's ok at home but not if I'm outdoors. Pulling a cork with the corkscrew was not my favourite activity in comparison to a real corkscrew but it's possible.

You can of course simply remove the opener layer if you want. I did that originally (shown below) before I realised just how useful those tools were for all the uses that they don't advertise. I can't go back now. It's all so darn useful!

[​IMG]

Most of all though. If you just want a knife, buy a knife. There are a zillion out there without anything but a blade.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    craytab, James Y, guy g and 1 other person like this.
  11. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Good call. Is that what that thing is? A parcel hook?

12. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000

One of the few and the proud.:thumbsup:

guy g likes this.
  13. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    :(

14. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    Back from the days when packages were tied with string. And if I know That then I must really be as old as my wife says I am!

afishhunter likes this.
  15. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    Of all the tools on my MT's, the one I need the least is the knife blade. I have and often still just tear into things with my hands, fingers, key, etc. I just use the knife since I have it... although I usually have a separate more purpose-built knife if I know I'm going to do real work which requires a blade, e.g. cutting insulation, breaking down super thick cardboard, or even for cutting food. The only time I really need the knife on my MT is when I'm on the road and need to open up a blister pack that's sealed.

When I travel, I usually take one MT, and it has to have a can opener, scissors, and needle nose pliers with wire cutters. It's common for me to eat a can of beans without a pull top lid from the local grocery store when I'm traveling. Some of my ex's preferred wine with dinner where a cork screw comes in handy, especially on trips... not everyone can get away with the box-o-wine on dates. I can't speak for all Europeans, but in my experience they drink a lot more wine, including on outings... considering SAK's are from that area.

When I'm around 'my' friends, the bottle opener comes in handy. I don't drink that often anymore, but will have one now and then when hanging out. Usually they ask me to use my bottle opener since they don't want to run inside the house to get theirs (or mine if we're at my place), e.g. when hanging around the outside grill cooking up steaks or having a cigar.

Around home, I usually use the screwdrivers, pliers, and wire cutters the most.

allenC likes this.
  16. onewing

onewing

Apr 2, 2013
    I've never used a bottle opener in my life, I had great difficulty choosing a sak because they always include one, complete waste of space. There's no reason for bottles to require a tool to open these days, stop making the tool and they'll stop making the bottles.

17. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Ha! No. Sorry.

Scott321 likes this.
  18. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    IDK, it’s close, but I might actually use the parcel hook once every 30 years or so. The corkscrew? Never.

19. scottyj

scottyj

Jan 29, 2009
    My Old Lady's gym had a dinner party for its members one night, and all the beer was of European origin. The gym had no bottle opener. I had my Vic Spartan on me that night. That little Spartan opened dozens of beer bottles. Guess who saved the party? Victorinox Spartan for the win.

22-rimfire, Lee D and jackknife like this.
  20. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    I've gotta ask...how old are you?

jackknife likes this.