Canadian knife law wrt to automatic knives.

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by Mr Smartypants, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Mr Smartypants

Mr Smartypants

Nov 18, 2019
    Hi this is my 1st post here i had a question re Canadian Customs as it applies to prohibited knives, good friend of mine has ordered several auto knives from overseas recently, and claims worst case scenario they get seized. My question is , could he not also get charged? or does customs normally stop at seizure?. Thx.

2. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    You take your chances.
    If you have no previous criminal record and they can give you the benefit of the doubt, it will most likely end with a confiscation and your name and address being red flagged for future incoming mail. But, yes they could very easily decide to charge the importer with illegally importing prohibited weapons.
    I wouldn't.

3. Knife_Collector_101

Knife_Collector_101

Sep 21, 2018
    Seems like customs usually just doesn’t let them in if somebody tries to order them and that’s that. I’m sure many have snuck them in though by having the packages labeled as something else so they totally pass through unnoticed. (Some just have them sent in as unassembled parts/kits.) I don’t know how hard they’ll come down on you for just owning one in your house. The laws prohibiting private ownership/possession always seemed unenforceable to me, because how’s anybody going to know you have it if it just stays in your collection on your property? From what I gather, it seems like Canadian authorities probably only enforce the laws when somebody carries them in public or when somebody tries to import them. So if you’re a law abiding citizen that doesn’t engage in other illegal activities, you likely have nothing to worry about. That said, I’m not advocating taking such risks running afoul of the law. If you don’t like the law, form a lobbying group like Knife Rights here in the US and try to persuade your government to change the law. My two cents.

4. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I depends if they'd like to make a public example of you or not.

You do get on the watch list and it takes a long time to get off the list. If you plan to travel or import other stuff that's a problem if you're on the list.

5. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Above post reported.

Edit.
    Post was removed.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  6. danbot

Oct 31, 2009
    For what? o_O

7. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    There was a spam post there. I think it was removed.

8. danbot

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh, okay. That makes more sense! :thumbsup:

marcus52AR likes this.