Canal Street Cutlery Is Closing Again?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Shurke, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Shurke

Shurke Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Well, this is sad. It seems CSC is going away for a second time.

I just spotted an auction listed by our friend Eric. As part of the description, he writes, "Unfortunately the Canal Street CoOp looks to be pretty much closing down as of this writing as the business model just couldn't hold up. It's a real shame as the knives are top quality cutlery."

Really wish it would have worked out for Eric and team. They made what are some of my favorite production knives of all time. Guess I'll just have to count myself lucky for having been able to snag the ones I did.

Jack Black and scrteened porch like this.
  2. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    I've been waiting for them to put out knives - Red Hill Cutlery was supposed to get some. I don't think they got any and now there are fewer knives listed.
    So I'm not sure they even got up and running.

3. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Sorry to hear this.

Shurke likes this.
  4. Shurke

Shurke Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2018
    @Ourorboros They got up and running. They put out a few knives in 2018 and a few more in 2019. Red Hill distributed most of them. Some others were made for a gentleman who had them branded Red Trout. I managed to grab 8 of the Co-Op knives in various handle materials.

In the aforementioned auction listing, Eric says the relaunched CSC Co-Op, "...made very few knives under its own name, and most all of them were done for Red Hill Cutlery. There were fewer than 300 total made."

5. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Eric was at the GEC rendezvous last August. He brought one or two of the last Canal Street Co-Op knives. My brother-in-law bought the last knife he had. It was a green micarta, stainless steel, single blade, clip point with a Red Trout shield. It didn’t have a half stop. It did have smooth action and an authoritative snap when closing. It was well made with nearly perfect fit and finish. Eric did say that he was done and the Co-Op wouldn’t be making any more knives.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Matt_WY, JustinR, jrawk and 12 others like this.
  6. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Really sorry to hear this. I hope the future holds good things for Eric and the rest of the folks involved in the Co-Op.

7. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    +1
    Best wishes to all.

8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    My one and only Canal Street Knife
    Sorry they couldn't make it work, I wish them all luck moving on.
    [​IMG]

JustinR, meako, Sabercat and 11 others like this.
  9. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    One of the last:( CSC knives, in horn; made by Eric!!
    I guess it's one of the last 300 or so! Too bad! I wonder what Eric is planning? He has a great skill set!!:thumbsup: Eric's CSC 1.jpg Eric's CSC 2.jpg

10. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Sad to hear. Regret not picking up one of the Red Trouts when they were available.

Ajd3530 likes this.
  11. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I suspected that it would be very difficult to sustain the Co-Op given the circumstances (and need for a business venture to actually make some kind of profit).
    Eric (@ea42 ) made some outstanding knives and is a really nice guy on top of that. I'm really glad they gave it another go. I feel fortunate to have a decent collection of CSC knives now (Co Op and older) and wish Eric the best of luck in his next endeavors.
    CSC_family_03.JPG

afishhunter, Jolipapa, ISKRA and 18 others like this.
  12. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Be great if he could get an interesting job at GEC and be in charge of expanding the stainless range:cool::thumbsup:

13. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    This is a shame, but I’m glad to have this example. Red Hill is my local knife shop, and Josh hooked me up.

222F2525-1760-42C2-9960-50D24A70C2CD.jpeg 23130A65-C0CD-4951-AE81-A229DD4BBBC6.jpeg

14. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beautiful knife Frailer!!

Will Power likes this.
  15. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I too am sorry to hear this, several CS knives have passed through my hands and they have all been very nice. The Forum knife they made is one of my favorites!

16. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    This is sad news....!
    These nice knives were only available for a blink of an eye, and now CSC is gone.
    Please post more pics if you are lucky enough to have one.

17. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Really sorry to hear this. I've only had one or two Canal Street knives, but they were nice. I unfortunately lost my 2015 (I think that was the year) BF knife.

I hoped that the CoOp would work. I'm sure the knives were top quality, as Eric said. But it just never seemed like the business end was shored up.

Shurke and Travman like this.
  18. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    The Red Trout knives are very nice. Only 50 were made. 154-CM steel and a variety of handle materials.

Green Jigged Bone. 1 of 5.
    [​IMG]

Red & Gray Kirinite. 1 of 2.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Invoice

Invoice Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2006
    [​IMG]
    Here's mine.
    Sorry to see them go.

20. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I didn't even hear about these Red Trout knives apparently. They look really nice.

waverave and waynorth like this.