1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Carbide?

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by daggerscove_knives, Jan 27, 2017.

1. daggerscove_knives

daggerscove_knives

Jun 11, 2015
    So I heat treat with a charcoal forge at home. Powered by a hair dryer. I realize not idea bit it's what I have.
    I quench in canola oil and I get this happen a lot. The material is recycled saw mill blades .
    Is this carbide binding? I have been told it's the carbon splitting frim the other metal.
    So what to do ? Do another heat reat with more even heat ie. Move the knife around to not have got spots? And if is my quench need more time?
    There gone trough two tempering cycles. Maybe this batch try to cm sand down the pattern . I feel there's some integrety/ strength issues

[​IMG]

2. S.Alexander

S.Alexander

Jul 7, 2013
    It's called decarburization (decarb). It happens when you forge and heat treat your blades. You can grind or sand past it to get to clean steel below.

3. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    That's exactly what happens , even in Canada !
    Some wrap in SS foil or paint with solution that prevents decarb. For the foil the steel must be at least an oil hardening type or air hardening.

4. daggerscove_knives

daggerscove_knives

Jun 11, 2015
    Right . Deacarb. That's it.
    Been awhile since I did it this way. Had access to an oven for a bit and it didn't happen . Forgot this happened the even that process was a lot different
    Thanks guys. It looks neat but too uneven and messy to keep . Hand sanding tonight

5. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    Dude... Come visit... We talk... We fix.;)