1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Carbon steel care, olive or fretboard oil

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by RidingDutchman, Apr 24, 2019.

1. GABaus

GABaus

May 7, 2017
    For instances in which you might need to coat the blade and might not want to carry a bottle of oil such as a multi day canoe trip, you can apply a thin layer of lip balm to the blade reaplying as needed of cource.

Pteronarcyd and RidingDutchman like this.
  2. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I believe it's called liquid paraffin eup in Europe.

In America the food safe label is "usp" and "eup" in Europe.

I'm not in Europe so I can't say for certain, but the little research I've done suggests this
    Here's one reference of many I've read http://www.sonneborn.com/products/europe-africa-middle-east/white-mineral-oils

I assume you can get this in the pharmacy aka drug store department as a laxative section, but again I dunno Europe.

RidingDutchman likes this.
  3. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    I also cannot find mineral oil easily down here, so baby oil is the replacement.
    For a more permanent coat, plain Vaseline should be better than oil. Both will not go rancid.

RidingDutchman likes this.
  4. Pteronarcyd

Pteronarcyd

Feb 19, 2019
    Baby oil is just scented mineral oil. It's obviously nontoxic, but the scent might be disagreeable when used with food. However, this shouldn't be a problem unless you use the blade right after coating it, as the scent should dissipate quickly. The wintergreen scent in Frog Lube, for example, seems to dissipate within two days.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Chris "Anagarika" likes this.
  5. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    deleted

6. The 'white mineral oil' that works best with knives (oiling or sharpening) can be found in various disguises. The oil supplied with electric clippers or electric razors is an example. I've also seen it labelled for use for lubricating paper-shredders, food-processing equipment (USP 'food-safe', obviously), and for cutting boards (also food-safe).

Norton's own sharpening stone oil is also graded food-safe, if you happen to find it in your area. That's what I've been using to oil my own knives. I've also been using some of the stuff labelled for food-processing equipment, found at a restaurant supply store locally, which is as close in consistency & 'cleanliness' as I've seen to the Norton product. I've liked it as a very close alternate favorite, for use on my oil stones.

The key is to look for the oils that are completely colorless & odorless. If it looks a little 'yellow' or smells like a petroleum product, it's probably not as pure or clean ('food safe') as the better-suited 100% mineral oil products usually considered safe (or at least 'safe enough').

Chris "Anagarika" and Mo2 like this.
  7. Joseph H.

Joseph H.

Oct 20, 2018
  8. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    If you have access to vasoline (as noted earlier in the thread) or white petroleum jelly (a common 1st aid item in the US) would work.

When I have been in a pinch, w/out frog lube, rem oil, or mineral oil, I have gotten away with beeswax based lip balm. Worked well enough in a humid environment.