Caribbean Salt owners, please do me a favor.

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Severance, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Severance

Severance

Feb 4, 2006
    Please shake your knife. l absolutely love my Caribbean, but man is it noisy... The floating stop pin rattles so badly, that it might as well be a maraca. I have had it apart a couple of times, and as tempting as it is to loctite the pin in place, I understand that a floating pin is designed that way for a reason. In this case, however, I don't need to shake the knife to hear it...simply setting the knife down, or quickly flipping it over is enough to create an audible "tick". So, does anyone else have this issue?? Any input is appreciated. -I plan on posting the same query on the Spyderco.com forums, as soon as my phone and that site will get along...

2. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Just FYI the Spyderco forum is currently down for maintenance

3. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    dab of vaseline on each side of the pin. Still can turn, no more rattle. Or any thick grease, you get the idea.

Even a very small piece of paper balled up under the pin on one side (or both) will act like a spring and keep it from making noise. Might have to try it a few times but you'll get it.

4. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Interesting...mine doesn't have that issue.

Jim

5. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    But is it actually designed to rattle? IIRC the Kizer Feist had a similar QC issue that was addressed with a reworking.

6. Severance

Severance

Feb 4, 2006
    I appreciate everyone's input so far. I am thinking that something must be out of spec, as pronounced as the rattle is. I suppose I could send it in for an evaluation...

7. SaintZe

SaintZe

Dec 20, 2013
    Well that's odd. Mine rattles as well- never noticed till now, though only when I really shake it.

8. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    I've had knives with floating pins rattle. Spyderco included. One thing I noticed is if the knife is locked open or fully closed, the blade contacting the pin braced it and stopped it from rattling. All the knives would rattle with the blade half open. That's how I would check.

9. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    My Caribbean is rattle free. I did have a stop pin on one of my Hinderer’s rattle. I used a drop of loctite to resolve the issue.

10. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    If some are rattle free and others aren't, something seems out of spec. I'd contact spyderco.

11. Knifeoholic

Knifeoholic

Feb 8, 2016
    Just checked mine, no rattle