"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Good to hear from you, Randy. Sure hope the craziness ends soon.

Jack Black and tmd_87 like this.
  2. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I understand what you're saying. A couple weeks of quarantine is an inconvenience, but wouldn't be a terrible hardship. (boredom can be a luxury) Months of all business shutting down, millions out of work for who knows how long is another story. Stress can be a killer. Many of us are looking towards a summer with no money coming in. People are complaining about the stores having trouble keeping the shelves stocked, but I'm starting to worry about what happens when there's food in the stores, but no money to buy it.

Sorry to be such a bummer today, I think I need to go out for a long walk tomorrow morning and get some fresh air and exercise. Take care, everyone!
    And on a happy note: Tower Girl has four eggs in her nest!

https://biodiversity.utexas.edu/resources/falcon-cam

[​IMG]

Peregrin, WHT, Old Engineer and 8 others like this.
  3. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Very cool!! I showed my son. I think she is the one who picked off one of my hens recently...:D:D:D

4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Great to see you here Randy :) :thumbsup:

5. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    Not yet, not yet...but i worry. I worry because this virus has some characteristics of the modernity in which we are encouraged to participate and therefore to achieve. Let's see:

- Made in China.
    - Kills the oldest and the weakest.
    - Leads us to watch passively the spectacle of the world on our tv and computer screens to illusively escape confinement.
    - Gives good reasons to governments, democratic as well as dictatorial, to strengthen the control of populations.

As for the eventuality of a social dislocation, was this process not already on its way before the epidemic?

I have the unpleasant impression that, to avoid the economic crisis, certain experts and decision-makers have minimized, for too long in Europe and America, the risk of health crisis.
    We could have both.

Dan.

6. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    If things get pear shaped, that White Gold could be worth more than crack-cocaine soon:D:eek::eek:

22.5 kg at....:cool:

7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Not a bummer at all Rachel, in crises people must be reflective and think carefully rather than becoming apathetic. It leads to a paradoxical situation whereby somebody commits suicide out of the terror of death:D as many European nations (their leaders/experts) did in August 1914 :eek:

The falcon is wonderful, but less rodents and small fry for the cats ;) I also liked the beautiful pictures of Magnolias in flower in another post, not seen those in person since I was living in England years ago, wonderful trees they have a second flowering but smaller in August. Once again I strongly recommend George Orwell's essay In Defence of The Common Toad where Orwell shows how natural beauty is the greatest of strengths in the darkest of times, it's not flippant nor sentimental but very encouraging.

Thanks, Will

dantzk8 likes this.
  8. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Our local dedicated gun store still had ammo yesterday. The place was packed with people buying guns, presumably against the marauding hordes expected by some radio stations. It occurred to me as I was leaving that it would be pretty funny if we all died from buying stuff we hope to use to stay alive.

I have a couple months still to find a .44 mag deer rifle, assuming I have a couple of months still.
    (I'm fairly sanguine about my survival prospects, but that's when they get you.)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  9. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I clicked on "Lord Peter Wimsey" last night, and got apparently anything that had a lord or a peter in it, but no Lord Peter. I ended up with the old Kenneth Moore Father Brown series. I'm not sure it's better than the new ones where Brown has a home parish and an Irish housekeeper, but it's definitely very good, and closer to the books.

10. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Definitely good for body and soul.

11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    You need to brush up on your Google-Fu Grasshopper ;) :thumbsup:

(Now I'm going to get this stuff all over my YouTube feed! o_O)

12. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    @Jack Black ,
    It wasn't google, it was firestick. And thanks, but that's Ian Carmichael. [I have no idea how to spell Carmaechel. I hope that isn't a symptom.] I want the second one, whose name I don't know because I never saw him in anything else. That I can google.

Speaking of social media, I'm going to revive my Facebook account so I can virtually hang out at the church. And suggest that we could meet in person at six-foot tables six feet apart. Or individual tables six feet apart would be more efficient.
    And I'll write the governor and suggest that she fund bar renovations in the same vein.
    Without vision, the people perish.
    Thank heavens we have me.

13. Just Tom.

Just Tom.

Apr 24, 2019
    At some point I suppose we will all have either gotten this disease and survived, or gotten it and died. If it becomes endemic, we may just have to go on about our lives, maybe with just a few extra precautions, and learn to accept the increased risk of mortality each year. Past societies have achieved great things in eras when life expectancy was very low, and the risk of death from natural causes or from the dangers of travel and commerce was very high. I agree in most part with the efforts to “flatten the curve”, but at some point life has to go on.

Just my own musings, of course. I have no expertise in any of this...

Cutfinger and scrteened porch like this.
  14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Sorry Jer, I'm afraid that's the only one I know, but I think you could get the name of the actor in the series you want here , and then find the episodes you want by searching directly on YouTube :thumbsup:

scrteened porch likes this.
  15. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Edward Petheredge! (I googled Gaudy Night, that was a good one.) That's the one where he buys Harriet a spiked dog collar for protection from a strangler at her alma mater.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Jack Black likes this.
  16. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    I second this recommendation. All the novels and essays written by George Orwell are worth of interest. Rarely an intellectual and man of action has known to, despite a great sensitivity, keep his eyes dry enough to denounce the injustice and falsification of the world. An honest man.

Dan.

17. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I'm afraid I don't know it Jer :thumbsup:

scrteened porch likes this.
  18. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I am not a doomsayer. Among family and friends I am considered a source of calm & reason. I keep posting COVID-19 related "awareness" posts here in BF because I do believe that reason and calm can only prevail if we are aware of the current science. On what else can we rely? Can we agree that on this subject, there has been a great deal of: minimizing, outright prevarication, exaggeration, sensationalism, panic, and confusion - none of which has served the public good?

Again, then, I post a link which I think offers useful perspective as counterpoint to the barrage of disinformation that has characterized much of the reports of the last 3 weeks. This "NOVEL" virus is fraught with unknowables. To quote Dr. Fauci (one reliable and knowledgable source)I’ll say it over and over again, when you’re dealing with an emerging infectious diseases outbreak, you are always behind where you think you are if you think that today reflects where you really are.”

Do with it as you will. Shoot the messenger (me) if you prefer. BUT - please take care. Remember that it's not just the percentages of deaths that are a concern (8% to number of cases in Italy) but also the overwhelming of our medical facilities that will not allow for proper care of all other medical emergencies, serious illnesses, accident victims, births, all requiring diminished and burdened medical infrastructure.

Here is IMHO a worthy read - COVID-19 - do the Math.

BF is my safe social distancing community. Thank you!

19. TheTourist

TheTourist Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2019
    @RayseM, On what else can we rely? Can we agree that on this subject, there has been a great deal of: minimizing, outright prevarication, exaggeration, sensationalism, panic, and confusion - none of which has served the public good?

You have pointed out a condition that bothers me. For example, if you pull up just about every survivalist forum you find a great deal of discussion on firearms and how much ammunition to store. Then if so much as one National Guardsman enters your neighborhood there's panic and people don't know what to do.

On what do we rely? Gee, is it possible that perhaps we should look after ourselves? Do we go to the target range regularly? Do we plant a small vegetable garden in our backyard? Are our freezers stocked with meat and other perishables? Yikes, does anyone know how to polish a knife or reload?

I believe that most people just like to peruse through hobbyist forums, but perhaps one in a hundred actually reload, much less shoot and garner shelves of food.

20. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sorry - one more point :( - If we choose to dismiss the warnings and blithely go on about our daily activities we are ensuring the worst case. Even if you are strong and vital - if you carry the virus you could infect scores of others who do not share your basic good health and strong immune system. That is utterly irresponsible.

Rather - Take the warnings seriously but don't despair. Yes, @The Tourist, depend on yourself. If we each choose to isolate ourselves from physical contact, as much as humanly possible for 20 days, we are all contributing to minimizing the worst potential of this virus. 20 days off from the hectic pace of normal life can be a huge relief and healing period even if the impetus is a global pandemic. Love your family and friends through phones, blogs, social media and keep them and yourself safe.

Hopefully I am not being simplistic :rolleyes: Admittedly, I don't know anymore than the next guy.

Just Tom. likes this.