"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

1. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    [​IMG]

2. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    And THAT is how he became known as Stitchface"Cheeky" Nolips .

3. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    No beards in The British Army ???
    [​IMG]
    What do call that thing ?
    Its a dead Badger I found in me trench Sarge...Im eating it fer me breakfast.
    Well tuck it under your sporran Man!
    And for Pitys sake grow a beard...or perhaps you don't like being a member of The Kings Own Highland Hipster Regiment..

4. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    All this talk of beards... My head and face have not seen clippers, scissors, or razors in quite a long time.

5. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Can you see out??;):D

6. Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Cool Hipster Brigade :cool: I think that photo is probably from the Crimean War 1850s after that they took against beards and hair in general with the advent of safety razors- it's the LICE you see Sir! And after the South African Wars c.1900 they got rid of their famous Redcoats....something the French only learned later to their horrible cost with their bright red trousers and blue coats in 1914 what a target :( The Germans too with their elaborate Pickelhaube helmets..:eek:

7. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Why does an identical to original Casio "Forester" watch band cost more than a new Casio "Forester" watch?!?

Makes less than zero "logical", "common", or any other kind of sense ... :(

Rant over.

Old Engineer likes this.
  8. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Watch bands are terrible. It used to be they were standardized.

9. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    Yes Will @Will Power ...there was a series of stamps with these images....this guys beard is one of the least impressive...mind you ...very striking images of these men....

Will Power likes this.
  10. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Well, I did our Federal Income Taxes yesterday. Very tedious and time consuming what with gathering all the forms, booklets, etc.. I do them myself and don't rely on any computer programs to help me out such as Turbo Tax. I've always done them myself (every year since 1960) and never had them come back for errors or anything like that. By doing them myself it shows me that I've still got a relatively sharp mind and that I'm not in the loony bin just yet. I'll do the State Taxes next week. Ain't life grand!:rolleyes:

Cutfinger, meako, redsparrow and 9 others like this.
  11. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    My father loved to do it also. I once asked him why?
    He answered : because it was keeping him angry :eek::D:D:D

meako, redsparrow, CelloDan and 8 others like this.
  12. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I did my taxes early this year (as I do every year) and was disappointed to find out (only afterward, too) that the IRS isn't even looking at returns until Feb. 12th.

Modoc ED likes this.
  13. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Still, you're done.

JTB_5 likes this.
  14. Modoc ED

Mar 28, 2010
    That's why I held off so long this year. Normally, I've got mine done and in the mail by mid January.

JTB_5 likes this.
  15. Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    :cool::D

Surely one thing worse than filling in tax-forms would be working full-time in a Tax Office :eek::poop:

Cutfinger and Jolipapa like this.
  16. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for the reminder, ED. I printed out my W2s from work today after reading your post, and I think I've received all the 1099-Rs I need to be able to do my taxes. I've always done mine myself on paper forms, like ED describes, but I'm wondering if I should go to some "pro" now that I'm starting to get some of my income from retirement accounts and eventually Social Security, just to get an idea of what I should be doing.

- GT

Cutfinger and Modoc ED like this.
  17. Modoc ED

Mar 28, 2010
    If you've got any doubts go to a Pro this year GT. Maybe have them do it this year and then use what you learn this year and use the forms for this year for the next few years.

I may groan a bit about doing the taxes but I really do like filling out the paper forms by hand and doing all the worksheets.

18. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nothing like distractions from the onerous job of doing taxes!!
    Grandsons are a great distraction!!;)
    Even better than playing with knives!!:D And his mom's expecting another boy in April!!:cool: Happy Grandpa!!:) Sun 1.jpg

WHT, Old Engineer, Cutfinger and 16 others like this.
  19. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    This is true.

I have had to wait on bank documents a couple of years and sometimes a W2 comes later in the month. Still, most years I can get mine done before Feb.

20. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Good advice, ED; makes a lot of sense to me! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Prester John likes this.