1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Carrying a flipper lose in pocket?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BlueBonnet, Apr 26, 2018.

1. BlueBonnet

BlueBonnet

Apr 19, 2018
    I would like to purchase my first flipper (a ZT). However, I MUST carry in pocket without any clip showing. This will be the same pocket which I carry my keys.
    I understand that this is not ideal, and greatly slows deployment (I’m used to it), but my only concern is...how likely is it that the flipper would snag on the keys and deploy the blade?
    I currently carry a Manix II in said pocket and it does fine. I guess I’m more concerned about deploying the ZT when pulling out my keys.

2. BlueBonnet

BlueBonnet

Apr 19, 2018
    Sorry—should be titled “loose” in pocket...don’t see a way to edit the title...moderators, feel free.

3. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    I would never carry a set of keys in a pocket with any knife because the keys are going to bang up your knife pretty badly. As far as dangerous, of course a key ring could catch on the flipper tab and open the blade enough to cause injury. Might not everytime, but over the course of repeatedly reaching for the keys or the knife it will happen.

Just move your keys, if you must carry not clipped. Put them on a belt clip, or in a different pocket .

clearkevin and Icky Thump like this.
  4. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    When you say "pulling" out your keys, I get the feeling you have them on a chain or a cord (?) I carry my keys that way and I'd never carry a knife in that pocket, because the knife tends to get pulled out of the pocket along with the keys sooner or later. Just saying.

Cereal_killer likes this.
  5. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    Nobody can tell you for certain something can't happen carrying a flipper loose in a pocket with a set of keys. We can only tell you it could happen.

I've been cut before from a clipped knife that opened partially in my pocket and nothing else besides the blade jarring open was involved. Factor in a set of keys on a ring and a loose knife odds are against it never happening.

6. jwh720

jwh720 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2016
    I agree loose in the pocket is prob not a great idea. You could keep the knife in a slip loose in your pocket. It would be protected from damage from your keys and also stop it from opening.

ChazzyP, kniferbro and benchwarmer380 like this.
  7. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Like everyone else has said so far... yes, it could happen, esp. if you're carrying an A/O flipper. I understand having to keep the knife out of sight. There are many other ways to carry keys, however. That's what I'd suggest moving.

8. ponykid

ponykid

Sep 14, 2015
    don't do it. you will eventually get cut reaching in your pocket or it will come flying out with your keys and if you cant clip it or have any of it showing what will you do when it flies out of your pocket and everyone your trying to hide it from watches it clatter to the ground and skid and tumble to a stop at their feet?

How about clip it inside the waistband of center line under your belt. I 100% guarantee no one will ever notice it . of course I don't know what your carrying but it has worked for me try it .

9. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout

Mar 10, 2010
    Suspension clip to your belt.
    Leather slip for the knife.
    KSF pocket sheath.
    Skinth.

10. arty

arty

Oct 18, 2003
    I had a liner lock open in my pocket from a key pushing a blade out. I wouldn't carry a flipper under any circumstances, but definitely not with keys. I prefer to carry loose in the pocket, and only have the pocket knife in there-nothing else.

11. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Wrap it with a rubber band, or velcro or some kind of sheath of some sorts.

12. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    If you want to carry a flipper this way, I'd just slide it into a leather slip. Flippers get gunked up in pockets used for all sorts of junk.

13. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  14. darth_cholo

darth_cholo

Mar 29, 2010
    I carry small lockbacks loose in pocket but i have a clip on my keys so they don't sit at bottom of pocket. (Only my knife sits at bottom)

Wouldnt trust a flipper loose though.

15. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    I carry loose in pocket with my keys all the time, especially my Pakkawood Delica in the office. As far as flippers, the Kizer Gemini and Mini Intrepid have spent a lot of time loose in pocket with my keys without issue. Backlock has a better self close, but I've never had an issue with the flipper coming open, though it could happen. Then again, nearly any knife can open in your pocket, clipped or not. The only one I've had issue with is the 484 coming open.

Most ZTs are bigger than I would want clipless, but 0900 comes to mind.

16. Wilsonhome

Wilsonhome Professional Chupacabra Tamer Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2014
    I carry loose in the pocket most of the time for all of my knives, including several flippers. However, I carry my wallet in the pocket with the knife and carry my keys on the other side. They could certainly come open and carrying in a pocket slip would eliminate that.

17. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    My 0900 actually fits in my watch pocket in my jeans. If I was going clipless, that's how I'd do it.

[​IMG]

I don't know about loose in my right front pocket, the detent on mine is solid enough that I wouldn't be so much worried about it opening than how unbelievably uncomfortable it'd probably be. Especially since most ZT's are most definitely not light. Maybe something like a 0450 would work better in that regard.

Yo Mama likes this.
  18. Sergeua

Sergeua Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Had a spyderco military open in my pocket somehow. It was pretty snug in there with my wallet next to it. The pocket on these jeans i had was perfect to carry it like that also. Its s big knife it couldn't even rotate in there. Had lanyard stick out a bit that was even same color as jeans (dark blue).
    It was perfect but after getting out of car going inside something happened and it was poking through the back seam of my pocket. It was even against the back seam of my pocket...
    You can do this on some knives to give yourself a peace of mind.
    [​IMG]

Yo Mama, darth_cholo and brandoak like this.
  19. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I live in NYC and carry ZT 450 in pocket with no problems

20. brandoak

brandoak

Aug 1, 2015
    Confucius says....."One who carries flipper loose in pocket today, bears no children tomorrow".....
    o_O