Carrying A Whaler

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Agent Orange Peel, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Agent Orange Peel

Agent Orange Peel Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2018
    I normally carry my traditional in a belt sheath.

I recently picked up a GEC Whaler and I instantly want to use it. It is just so different from anything I have own.

Due to the size, there is no way I can carry it in my current belt sheath. Anyone have any suggestions for a new belt sheath or regular pocket slip that can fit a Whaler?

I have been wanting to get into leathercraft, so this just might be a great incentive to get me going.

stick-stuck likes this.
  2. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I carry my sunfish/whaler/rope knife/pocket axe/pocket spatula (not a GEC though) loose in the bottom of my pocket.
    Believe it or not, a full size 4 inch closed Whaler/Sunfish does not "print" in your pocket, despite its size. (or perhaps because of its size), even in light weight suit trousers.

3. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    i remember the rendezvous where that was the rendezvous knife. It was so hot outside that we joked you can fry an egg on that thing. The whaler is definitely not the most portable knife and is hefty. gonna need some special leather work for that.

stick-stuck and wlfryjr like this.
  4. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    You should definitely start leather work. If you can make sheaths, there are countless other products people want. Have you tried to find a good cordovan color belt lately? I mean a quality one at a reasonable price.

5. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I saw a guy on the FB group that was making and selling custom leather slips made to fit the whalers, back in 2018 about a month after they were released.

6. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
  7. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Thinking paid under $15 for this one
    Any GEC dealer

Travman, Quiet, WValtakis and 2 others like this.
  8. 4thpoint

4thpoint

Sep 28, 2015
    I'm going to look for a small molle pouch to put on a belt.

Bloefield likes this.
  9. Travman

Jan 26, 2016
    I did the same thing with my large GEC sheath and it took several minutes to get the Whaler back out. It was way too snug of a fit. I didn’t try it a second time. I may have to try again. The sheath might stretch a little over time and adapt to it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  10. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Wet the sheath, wrap the knife in a baggie, and stuff her in there. Allow it to dry. Leather stretches

Cvrobinson likes this.
  11. Travman

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks for the advice. I’m going to try it.

12. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018
    I have found that plastic wrap works better than a baggie, just wrap around the knife tightly a few times and than press around with your hands. None of the excess from the baggie that sometimes gets in the way.

13. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    I always use the thin sandwich bags. Anything thin and waterproof, really. A condom would be perfect.

Travman likes this.
  14. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Use warm water and don't get it too wet. Quick dunk in and out. Some guys will even use a spray bottle.

Travman, cbach8tw, JohnDF and 2 others like this.
  15. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Wrapped mine with paper towel then the plastic wrap. With a flap on the sheath, wasn’t worried about retention, wanted a easy extraction, just tight enough to not “rattle”.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Markeologist, Travman and WValtakis like this.
  16. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
  17. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    You may need some load bearing suspenders for that one :)
    BH283.jpg

Travman, JohnDF and btb01 like this.
  18. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    My fashion style would take a hit with this one, my sports coat won't fit.

19. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018
    This forum is for traditionals only:D:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    JohnDF, Wild Ben and waverave like this.