Case Barlow question?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by danerobinson33, Mar 13, 2020.

1. danerobinson33

danerobinson33

May 22, 2015
    Hello I just recently purchased a Case Barlow as my first traditional style knife. Im really enjoying it so far. However the pivot seems a bit gritty when opening the knife. I'm just wondering if there is any type of oil or lube I can put on it to smooth it out? Also what style of sharpening would you recommend? I dont have much experience sharpening knives, but I also purchased a lansky professional sharpening system with the knife will this do the trick? I also heard that the Barlow might be going out of production at some point is this true?
    Thanks!

Duper likes this.
  2. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Enjoy the case Barlow, they’re nice. I would flush the pivot with some mineral oil or other knife specific oil you may have on hand. Case can be a bit gunked up with debris and polishing compound. The lansky will be fine for sharpening. I just use a basic hand held worksharp. The case Barlow was a limited release from last year, so when they’re gone, they are gone. So if you see one you like buy it.

MerryMadMonk and danerobinson33 like this.
  3. danerobinson33

danerobinson33

May 22, 2015
    Cool! Thank you! I will try the mineral oil! How much oil do I put on the pivot? I also thought about one of the worksharp sharpeners they look really nice! It's good to know that the Barlow will eventually be gone I might pick up another very soon!

Old Engineer likes this.
  4. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    I just use a few drops. Work the blade back and forth, wipe clean and repeat. Just watch the oil till it starts to clear up. Hopefully you’ll notice an improvement.

Cutfinger likes this.
  5. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Typically they will stop making the Barlows for a few years and then make another run , but who knows . The time to buy what you like is when you see it . Now to the Gritty Joint issue . Oil it and work it like @Matt_WY said and if you have an air compressor , blow it out too . Be sure to wear safety glasses if you do though . I also kind of cover up where the air will blow out with a rag . Good luck my friend and welcome to the world of Traditional Knives .

Harry

Cutfinger and Matt_WY like this.
  6. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Yes welcome to the Forum! I hope you have a good time! I picked up two Case Barlows so far.

,,,Mike in Canada

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2018
    As far as sharpening goes... Don't experiment with your new knife. Buy an old, beat up knife from a pawn shop or antique shop for a few bucks and figure it out on it.

There are a lot of 'systems' to be had. The Lansky is fine.