Case Copperheads- pics and experience wanted

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by EngrSorenson, Jan 18, 2021.

1. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Back to Ol' Yeller :thumbsup:
    I prefer the clip primary over the Wharncliffe primary.
    YellowFeb2021 4.jpg

2. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Mike, the clip blades Case uses for the Copperheads is one of their best and yellow delrin is always a fine choice. Can I ask about your preference for the clip over the wharncliffe? Is your preference based on the ascetics or are there other reasons as well?
    Thanks, -James

3. mbkr

May 20, 2018
    Please understand that my preference/opinion on this springs from a wealth of ignorance that is really quite astonishing.

Its not aesthetics - I like the way both look.

For whatever reason, it seems like I find myself using the very end of the Wharncliffe too much. I guess a better way to put it is, I like the way the clip cuts better, but cannot provide a good reason for it. I like blades with a little belly - but not too much. I found the belly on a GEC #71 (sodbuster equivalent) to be more than I wanted for everyday use. The point wasn't where I thought it should be, when I thought it should be o_O

It could just be familiarity. Probably is. I've used clip point pocket knives since I was a wee lad in Detroit :cool:

Reading the above ramble, it occurs to me I could have saved some words and just said:

"I like what I like and I don't know why" :p

4. redsparrow

Oct 3, 2014
    @mbkr Thanks for the explanation Mike, makes a lot of sense. I've been thinkin' 'bout gettin' a copperhead wharny and wanted to hear from someone who had both. The clip is probably a more general purpose blade than any straight edge making it a great choice. BTW, I grew up in the N.W. corner of Detroit not far from a White Castle. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :)
    -James

EngrSorenson, CelloDan and mbkr like this.
  5. mbkr

May 20, 2018
    Northeast suburbia for me. Sterling Hts. Relatives at the time scattered out through Warren, Roseville, St. Clair Shores and the thumb. WC was always a treat food.gif

EngrSorenson likes this.
  6. redsparrow

Oct 3, 2014
    Ya man!!! Only available frozen to me now. :(
    knife content...
    [​IMG]
    sparerow

ismaris, Boxer .45, cudgee and 15 others like this.
  7. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Is the bone stag available already or is this from a few years back? Can't quite make out a tang stamp. Fine looking knife.

,,,Mike in Canada

redsparrow likes this.
  8. longbow1968

longbow1968

Sep 9, 2020
    That 6.5 bone-stag has a nice warmth to it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I have shown my yellow EZ 49 wharncliffe frequently here. I would have to admit that I am generally a clip point guy, but the length of these Copperhead wharncliffe blades makes for a nice slicer. Chip bags don’t stand a chance...:D
    [​IMG]

9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I agree with everything that both of you fine gentlemen have said. :cool::thumbsup:

10. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I got the knife back today and I couldn't be happier...... Turnaround time was a couple weeks which I feel is pretty quick..... I'm not sure that it is the original knife, as the one I sent back was brand new so it is hard to tell if they fixed the original or just replaced it.....

But the blades are nicely centered which is an improvement over the original.... Before and after shots attached..... 20210201_115809.jpg 20210218_165950.jpg 20210218_165839.jpg

Boxer .45, mcc850, guy g and 20 others like this.
  11. longbow1968

longbow1968

Sep 9, 2020
    Thanks for taking the time to post a follow-up. :thumbsup:

12. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Got mine the other day. Both blades are hollow ground.

Nice and slicey :D

[​IMG]

mcc850, guy g, Spaten and 13 others like this.
  13. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Nice :thumbsup:
    Gracias Mike :)

14. redsparrow

Oct 3, 2014
    Thanks Mike. That pic is of a 2012 Stag Copperhead.

Duper likes this.
  15. Catdaddy2

Catdaddy2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Glad to see your happy and that Case took care of it.

HEMI 49 likes this.
  16. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Really nice. :cool::thumbsup:
    The blade is one of my favorites for size, shape, and grind.

CelloDan and Crazy Canuck like this.
  17. Catdaddy2

Catdaddy2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2019
    This one arrived today and I am quite pleased. Centered and nice solid lockup. Didn't know if I would like the Bermuda Green but it is good looking knife in person.[​IMG]

ismaris, Mingecutter, guy g and 11 others like this.
  18. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I use Wharncliffe blades for most anything except scoring or slicing against a backer surface, i.e. cutting board...... The tip seems to get overworked and dulls rapidly..... With a radius tip I can have a longer surface to play with.....

I just ordered a Wharncliffe Copperhead so I'll give it a good trial..... I really like the Copperhead.... It fits my hand perfectly and seems like a great utility pattern....

19. mbkr

May 20, 2018
    What handles did you order?
    I'm partial to the "Caribbean Blue" myself although I think of it as "Petty Blue" ;)
    PettyblueCopperhead.JPG

I see there is going to be a Wharncliffe version with Richlite handles. As far as I can tell this material is similar to the Paperstone Buck used briefly a few years ago. I have two of the Paperstone bucks and its a pretty nice handle material.

jwb01, guy g, EngrSorenson and 7 others like this.
  20. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    I think this is why you see old sheepfoot,and lambsfoot blades with the edge near the tip climbing towards the spine more than just poor sharpening technique. When just the edge 1/8 to 1/4 from the tip gets blunted people tend to just touch up the damaged area. With straight edge knives this eventually leads to it becoming a funny looking spear point. Conversely the belly on clips and spears see the most wear and if people again just touched up the dull area you see a straightening the edge. Thusly a pen blade becomes an awl and a spear becomes a funny looking lambsfoot. Our patron saint of relic knives @r8shell has displayed many such old wonders, I believe it was her I seen say something to the effect of "given enough time all blades become awls" ;)

guy g, EngrSorenson, JohnDF and 2 others like this.