Case Tony Bose Collabs pic and discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Signalprick, Mar 2, 2018.

1. rpstrimple

rpstrimple Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Today's grocery run carry. Longest I've had to wait in line since this all started. Loving the trapper though!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    wow. Super nice. That’s some of the nicest bone I’ve seen. Is that the millennium trapper?

3. rpstrimple

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks, Ron! And yes, it's the millennium trapper. I fell in love with the jigging and had to have it. She looks good for 20 years old.

Ron Sabbagh likes this.
  4. CHNeal

CHNeal Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 24, 2019
    One of the things that kept me from buying the cattle knife for years was perceived size. I kept hearing about how “ chunky “ it was and was too big to pocket carry comfortably. I could never find good comparison photos of it and common pocket knives together.
    I also new that I really liked the look but just could never put my finger on what it was that I was so drawn to. It wasn’t until I received mine did it click what about it I was attracted to so much.
    Anyway I’ve put together some pics that I hope will help others trying to decide if this freaking awesome pocket knife is the right size for them. Below are a series of photos comparing it to two very common knives. Bucks 301 and 303. These are both Camillus made so they are a bit different then today’s models but close enough to get the idea. Of things to take note of are that the length is between the 301 and 303 and the height is the same as the 301 and the width is the same as the 303. As far as looks go I can’t believe I never put it together that what I liked about the style was just how similar it is to a knife that I have carried for over 40 years.
    The cattle knife falls right in the middle of these two iconic knives that have been in more pockets then the IRS since the mid 60’s. It is not only NOT too big, I would actually call it the perfect sized edc pocket knife. AC460E45-D2FA-4F33-83CF-994F9EAC5BE1.jpeg 49745201-4EB8-471C-9A57-E4669CE3B654.jpeg 3EA8E2F8-5669-4B0E-AECF-5D1D2AED206B.jpeg 6001BD92-DD97-4D93-81FD-AF16C06DB88F.jpeg 1D780E4B-57B8-4CC8-B727-BA9CFB5E73DD.jpeg

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  5. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Thanks for the great photos and the comparison(s). I, also, really like..." these two iconic knives that have been in more pockets then the IRS since the mid 60’s"

CHNeal likes this.
  6. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    ”standard trash ht”? Pretty harsh. I’ve never had a problem.

Case’s heat treat of 154 is excellent. Just like it is for the ATS 34 they used to use in their Bose line and Case stainless, CV, BG42, damascus... My Bose models in 154 perform as good as Benchmade and a Merz custom I have in the same steel. It may be a little harder than BM. Case just doesn’t use heat treat as a marketing ploy like Buck.

7. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Agreed all the colab knives Iv owned and still own hold a great edge!!

8. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal

Mar 8, 2018
    Their standard production heat treat on the SS and CV is below average by today’s standards is my point :rolleyes: and these knives are way better than their regular ht so they’re for sure doing something different or sending them off

9. brownshoe

Sep 6, 2002
    That may be your point, but in my experience it's not a fact. Maybe it's the steel you find below average.

Will Power likes this.
  10. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    No issues breasting this turkey with my WT. Great knives deserve to be put to work!
    20200502_201534.jpg

20200502_201601.jpg

Spaten, .577NE, rpstrimple and 5 others like this.
  11. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Many days in my pocket.
    [​IMG]

12. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Those big stockmans have been tempting me for a long time. One of these days I'm going to hit the "Add To Cart" button. I love my Case/Bose cattle knife & the only thing holding me back is that I'm just afraid one of these will be too big for my liking.

13. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    I am in this exact same boat!

14. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Been toting this one every day since I got it ..
    [​IMG]

Spaten, sextant, rpstrimple and 12 others like this.
  15. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Same size as Case Large Stockman. You can try that.
    [​IMG]

WValtakis, Spaten, rpstrimple and 4 others like this.
  16. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Don't blame you

Will Power and AnW like this.
  17. Heirphoto

Heirphoto Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2007
    I too feel the cattle knife is perfect. Perfect enough to consider getting a second one in a different cover material. I like gaving 3 blades so have considered the larger Premium Stockman.
    Also own a Lanny's but just have not bonded with it as much. Really should gave got a Wilfred Lockback (again) as I miss that one and it was different enough in size to make more sense to own

Ironbut likes this.
  18. rpstrimple

Oct 16, 2011
    I am currently awaiting the arrival of an ebony Norfolk (one that I've always wanted), but it seems that it needed to take a vacation in ISC New York. In the meantime, I thought I'd share a photo of the current collection. [​IMG]
    They are all wonderful knives. I will say that the Dogleg has surprised me the most. It wasn't one I had on my radar, but it popped up and I grabbed it and I am glad that I did. It is one of the underrated patterns of the lot. The Norfolk and Lockback Whittlers are easy favorites. And the Arkansas Hunter is a beast. It can clearly eat the CJ for breakfast!

[​IMG]
    Next on the list is probably a Wharncliffe Trapper or a Lanny's. Both are Bose staples, and I have neither. That needs to be rectified. Now, I'll go back to refreshing USPS twice a day in hopes that the Norfolk has finally decided vacation is over. Hope you all are well. Cheers!

Ironbut, Spaten, Laurelbb and 8 others like this.
  19. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    That is some lineup! I've only got one - a Norfolk, but it is by far the nicest knife I own.

rpstrimple likes this.
  20. brownshoe

Sep 6, 2002
    Nice setup. I have the AK hunter too, in ebony.

If you like the AK hunter, you might like the Wilfred lockback hunter. It's an awesome take on the classic Remington pattern.

rpstrimple likes this.