Center line on thin stock?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Hankins, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Hankins

Hankins KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2008
    Center line on thin stock?
    Specifically what is a good way to scribe a center line for a .100 kitchen blade ...
    Never used this thin of stock before

2. E.Carlson

E.Carlson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2016
    A height gauge is a very useful tool. Lot of ways to do DIY scribes too.

DustinY likes this.
  3. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    I recently opened a thread about this..... anyone of this DIY tool will mark center line , one or two line ...
    https://bladeforums.com/threads/diy-edge-marking-tool.1722415/
    I just try on 1.5mm steel and all of them works but taking good picture of small detail is not easy task for me :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    A quick and dirty way would be to use as close to a 0.100 size drill bit. You can probably use an 1/8" bit and do both sides, then you'll have 2 lines that are only 0.050" apart...

milkbaby and Ken H> like this.
  5. Drew Riley

Drew Riley Riley Knife and Tool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2007
    A height gauge with a good carbide tip is one of the best and easiest ways. Put it on a flat surface, set your height where you'd like, and scribe. If you check ebay for the vernier style height gauges, you can often find them relatively cheap, vs a digital or dial type gauge.

DustinY and Josh Rider like this.
  6. Mark van Elteren

Mark van Elteren

Jan 5, 2020
    I use cheap callipers. I just need to remember to scribe before heat treating, as callipers will not touch hard steel.

7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    One thing left out in most methods people give is darkening the edge. Darken the edge with a permanent sharpie, or use Dykem - whatever method you use, a dark edge shows the scribe line better.

DustinY likes this.
  8. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    Exactly. Use a proper paint marker pen for steel, then scribing calipers. Easy and good. I have a dedicated knife making centre scribe tool as well, bit use calipers as often.

9. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah I use Dykem to paint the edge then the drill bit method with it lying on a flat surface. You don't need to scribe the exact center if you generate two scribes bracketing the center as weo said...

10. DustinY

DustinY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 29, 2016
    +1 for the height gauge, i've bought more than one scriber - and the height gauge with a carbide scribe has made a WORLD of difference, and everything you do is based off the lines you make for yourself.