1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Ceramic glass for work rest on belt grinder and disk sander...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Natlek, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    I just cut two piece ceramic glass for platen behind belt and start to sand edges......then I look in work rest on my grinders and I thought of all the flaws steel plate have ..... eureka :eek:
    So , what do you think about this ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have plenty of glass ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Tin.Man and Stang Bladeworks like this.
  2. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Interesting! Is that the glass top off of an electric stove top?

3. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Yes , I changed it last year and I kept it for platen behind belts but now I think that I found another place to use , my jig will glide on new work rest plate .. .no more rubbing steel on steel , especially nerves me when I grind to shape blade and that burr on edges ........:)
    It is ceramic glass of course ....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Well , I make another one plate just for ceramic glass .... :) Ceramic tile works excellent for now , what I should expect from ceramic glass ?
    One more thing ............... I know that you use JB weld for this application, I use automotive polyurethane seal because it is so easy to clean up .But I have no idea of thermal conductivity of both .

[​IMG]

I think that I will do this modification this days .....NO glue , direct contact between glass and steel so heat from glass can faster go to plate .Red color is ceramic glass .

[​IMG]

First I use HSS steel for plate and I think that my belts last longer then .I have some kind of AL cooler behind HSS and it works .....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    john april likes this.
  5. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    interesting idea. i never would have thought of using stove top glass !

6. rjedoaks

rjedoaks

Sep 15, 2009
    Natlek, so the ceramic glass makes for a much smoother surface topping the tool rest? I run into jerky motions at times, which creates issues with the grind also. Rich

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  7. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    ;)

8. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Well , that is what I think . I tried on this big piece of stove glass and seems that will work .

9. MBB

MBB Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2014
    If you want to maximize thermal conductivity with your adhesive, see if you can get one of the "arctic alumina" products like are used to attach LEDs and CPUs to heat sinks. It's not super strong (so I would mechanically support as well) but it does conduct well. I've used it a lot for custom LEDs for reef tanks and it does conduct heat efficiently, although you still might want a cooling fan directed at your pseudo heat sink.

Alternatively, you could put a layer of "thermal grease" between the glass and steel, but that would require 4 point mechanical fixation.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-4-...eywords=arctic+alumina+thermal+adhesive&psc=1

Natlek likes this.
  10. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Rich, I put a piece on my grinder a year or so ago, and the main reason I was told why I should was that the glass prevents grooves from the belt forming on a plain metal platen and keep it smooth.

11. jll346

jll346 Knife maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2006
    Your platen will DISH over time. The glass prevents that

12. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Thanks for clarifying....

13. rjedoaks

rjedoaks

Sep 15, 2009
    I was asking more about the tool rest, not so much the platen. A smoother tool rest so the jig glides without as much friction.

14. Kali4nia

Kali4nia

Aug 12, 2015
    Northridge tool sells glass for their platen. I attached mine with jb weld. Works like a charm.

Natlek likes this.
  15. jll346

May 29, 2006
    Put a Teflon type material on your jig. Not on your tool rest

16. rjedoaks

rjedoaks

Sep 15, 2009
    For instance?
    I found some ptfe sheets 1/8”. 12x12. What do you think about that? Not to derail the thread.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  17. jll346

May 29, 2006
    PTFE is Teflon. Exactly what you want to use.