1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Chaparral FRN in-house at Spyderco!

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by DocT, Oct 25, 2017.

1. CAD

CAD

Jan 11, 2006
    Bump.
    How do you like them? Any in hand yet?

2. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006
    I got one yesterday. Love it, but good grief I forgot how hard the back lock is to operate on the Chaparral. It just seems like they should have moved the part that you depress to the rear of the knife another 1/4". That way the spot where you depress the lock is not so close to the lock-bar pivot. I sold my CF Chap due to the lock being so annoyingly hard to depress. It doesn't help that the lock-bar is super thin too which digs into your thumb.

It's great and it's thin but I'm spoiled by my Native 5 G10 model. The back lock on that knife is a dream to use.

Kels73 and CAD like this.
  3. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Got one and very impressed. Thin, light weight and yet feels very solid.
    Lockbar spring is not an issue for me. I guess if I played with the knife non stop but I won't do that.

CAD likes this.
  4. BenjaminRush

BenjaminRush Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Mine showed up today-- love it!

Is it just me, or is the blade stock on the RN and FRN models just slightly thinner than the CF? Looks that way to me at least.

5. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    I just measured mine and both measured .078"

BenjaminRush likes this.
  6. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Got mine, loving it so far. I respect the Chap as a gent's folder, but this is the one I wanted. Light, thin, slices like a laser and just big enough to be comfortable in the hand. The FRN kills any concern about messing up good looks, so I'm not afraid to use it hard and put it away wet.

kreole likes this.
  7. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    I wanna see some more pics of this little beast!

8. wire edge

wire edge Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2001
    I love how thin this one is. The texture on the FRN is great as well.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  9. BenjaminRush

Mar 17, 2015
    Some photos to spice up this thread...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

grownstar and Homo habilis like this.
  10. arty

arty

Oct 18, 2003
    Is the handle thinner than the original CF model? I have two of the early Chaparrals in S30v, so I sure don't need another, but this knife looks like the handle is very thin.

11. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Yes, the handle is thinner than the CF version.

12. BenjaminRush

Mar 17, 2015
    Yep, thinner. I like it!

13. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Mine should be here this week sometime. I will be glad when it gets here. We all had so much input on this knife, from handle material to color choice, it is exciting to get it in hand.

14. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    I found that the lock bar became easier to depress after using it for a while.

sal

CAD likes this.