Cheap Belt Grinder?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by hhelton34, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern

Jul 31, 2015

I looked at several of the mod videos you linked. The only one I watched that shows the enlarged pulley, he puts very little pressure on the belt with the knife. To grind a bevel, you need a ton more pressure on the belt then what he is doing. I guarantee I could get that belt to stop, and without working very hard, certainly not at the pressure I grind at (and It's less than most other makers apply). I'm not trying to argue with you, it seems like you are set on getting that machine. I wouldn't say it's a waste, as you will likely use it for other projects. I just know how expectations can be dashed by reality on this stuff. like I said, I started out with stuff like this as well.

2. brooksknives

brooksknives

Jul 4, 2001
    You have to be carefull when you up the speed on a grinder of that sort since it was not meant to run at those speeds you could burn out the bearrings or bushings.

With a belt that short you will also strip the grit off of the backing fast and you could burn the steel there is also the possibility that with the belt moving towards you that it may grab the blade blank and throw it at you and that may not end well.

If you are set on using that sort of grinder there is a mod that would make the grinder safer and will allow you to do proper plung lines flat grinding slack belt grinding and small hollow grinds on folders and small fixed blades and would allow you access to better belts with more grits and longer belts that would run cooler so you could grind longer and use less belts but it will cost you 150-200 bucks.

www.akgrinders.com

panoz77 likes this.
  3. KodyL

KodyL

Jul 14, 2016
    I went through a similar thing last year. The grinder I wanted, I couldn't afford and the one's I could were junk. Might I suggest you buy the best welder you can afford and build your own grinder. Not only will you get a good grinder and the pride and experience of building it yourself, but you will have a welder that you will find more useful than you can believe.