1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

cheap damascus?...but not for a knife

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by marc4fishing, Oct 14, 2016.

1. marc4fishing

marc4fishing

May 23, 2011
    I figured I'd make the guys I stand watch with some christmas presents. I was thinking some sort of bracelet...I've never made damascus but have access to 304 stainless and mild steel...should I just buy cheap damascus or should I give it a shot?...and if I were to buy some ...where should i look

2. Augus7us

Augus7us

Oct 9, 2014
    For bracelets I think its fine to pick up a few bars of the cheap stuff on eBay or amazon or wherever else you could get it. Truthfully I have no idea. Since these items do not require good edge retention or even heat treated I see no downsides to it unless you get tempted to make a knife out of it.

The stainless / mild Damascus is a much greater challenge. I've never made stainless Damascus. I believe most folks use canisters and argon and require a press and hammer to do it. Very difficult.

For fun you could probably try to make san mai from the 304 and mild. I have seen that done successfully. Stack your billet and tig all the way around the billet and just forge it flat if you do not have a rolling press.

Good Luck

-Clint

3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    For bracelets, carbon steel in the mix is a problem with corrosion. Stainless has to be heat treated to be stainless. Steel is also heavy for bracelets unless forged down to .050" (18 gauge).

Making stainless damascus is not a beginner task in both skills as well as equipment. If you wanted to go with stainless damascus bracelets, I would get a couple bars of the stainless suminagashi and forge it down to about .070", and then grind to the final shape and thickness. The material is pretty cheap, about $50 a foot, IIRC.

A better choice would be mokume. It comes in .125" as a standard thickness. It is fairly cheap ( about $50-70 for a bracelet size piece), and draws out and forges well ( anneal often and cold forge). It makes great bracelets with a nice look. 4" should be plenty enough for a bracelet.
    Here are some choices:
    http://usaknifemaker.com/mokume-2-color-copper-nickel-silver-ladder-pattern-1-8-x-1-x-1.html
    http://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/sm731.htm