Cheapest knife that you can rely on

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DangerZone98, May 3, 2020.

1. ShadyMethods

ShadyMethods Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 9, 2016
    CRKT Folding Razel or Leatherman Style CS if multi-tools count

DangerZone98 likes this.
  2. Halfbaked94

Halfbaked94 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 25, 2019
    Mora basic or any mora, beat the hell out of them and if it breaks its another £5-£20 (no garberg) and a good ole victorniox of any side can be replied on for 99 percent of knife things and you can pick the chicken out your teeth as a bonus

3. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Basically whatever you use your knife for. Be it office EDC use or more outdoorsy stuff.

4. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    One of my budget knives that impresses me is my Buck vantage pro. Mainly for its cutting ability. Super thin hollow grind.

Kershaw injection and link are other cheaper knives that I own that are good.

GIRLYmann and DangerZone98 like this.
  5. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Of the ones I have used, a SA of any kind, and Opinel #6 or #8 Garden knife. One I am trying now is the Case Sodbuster Jr.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    lonestar1979, allenC and DangerZone98 like this.
  6. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Just about any knife can be made to work, provided it doesn’t outright fall to pieces and provided that you are willing to work with it. It would be truely sad if the only way you had to open your mail required a $500 top end production knife. That said, there are any number of practical and aesthetic reasons that we can point to for going with better knives. They usually feel better, look better, function better, have sturdier builds and accessories, and even last a bit longer. But, let’s not kid ourselves, The vast majority of work gets accomplished with very inferior knives.

n2s

metaxasm, jackknife, allenC and 2 others like this.
  7. AKnife

AKnife

May 10, 2009
    Mora (Companion HD).

Halfbaked94 and DangerZone98 like this.
  8. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    I would say Opinel for folders and Mora for fixed blades.

If we are talking one hand openers... then I have to say... Ganzo! I know I know.... But the truth is that they are stout and thick enough not to worry about them breaking. Action is good as well. I have two or three of them and I have to dismantle them and get angry with my a carbide burr in the straight grinder to remove as much metal as possible from the liners to save some weight. I did this very same thing to a Ganzo knife for a friend of mine and there was a noticeable difference. The G10 is thick enough to provide ridgidity, the liners are left there just for the screws to grab into something.

If we discard Ganzo from the one hand opener category, I would say Rat 2 and Spyderco Tenacious.

SAK's are great, but they are multitool more than a knife and they are more expensive than the aforementioned options.

Mikel

willc, Prester John and DangerZone98 like this.
  9. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    I second the SAK Spartan. My wife picked it up years ago at Walgreens. When my Buck made in Taiwan fillet knife went camping w my son and hasn't been seen since.. I got a Rapla fillet knife at The Walmart as a temp option. Surprised that it does a pretty good job of thin slicing!
    I now have the Buck Abyss so I'm well covered.

Prester John likes this.
  10. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Opinel or my current EDC, SAK Spartan. One of the cheapest Victorinox and an incredible carry tool regardless of price.

paulhilborn, Prester John and allenC like this.
  11. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    For a fixed blade, the Cold Steel roach belly I bought for ~$10.

For a folder, Cold Steel Pro-Lite for ~$18. I can depend on the triad lock to not fail me when using it pretty hard.

Halfbaked94 likes this.
  12. elde66

elde66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Opinel & Mora.

13. DallasSTB

DallasSTB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Tramotina machete + any Victorinox SAK = complete survival knife package for less than $50. Grab a Mora for less than $20 extra if you feel that you also need a small fixed blade.

metaxasm and Mitchell Knives like this.
  14. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    C569A9F5-AF42-4D69-B6C4-037C02CE8375.jpeg 89C3DB8C-3AB3-4CD4-87E4-8D9EDCFE14F7.jpeg

This is a $3 knife. I added the single finger groove. It is scary sharp, indestructible, and dishwasher safe.

I bought a case of them. Figuring they were disposable. Boy was I wrong.

The first one still looks brand new. It has opened a thousand boxes then broken them down for recycling. Not just the tape but cut the cardboard into pieces. It’s gone through the dishwasher at least twice a week for 2 years. Never been sharpened and still cuts a tomato paper thin.

Its part of Dexter Russels sani safe line. It is absolutely rock solid dependable. Every kitchen, tackle box, first aid kit, tool kit, survival kit, boat, car, truck etc. should have one of these in it.

15. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    What a bargain! I prefer plainedge but good find, man.

16. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Eleven dollars from South American River Online. "Electrician knife".

[​IMG]

Turned out to be pretty good.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  17. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Maybe some are inferior, yes, while others are still a good value and still a good knife. Inexpensive vs cheap thing again........I like a carbon steel OT, but I would not say that is inferior. More like a Chevy vs a Cadillac. Still will get the job done and what the average person can afford. "Let's not start that again, " to quote some very interesting buzzards in The Jungle Book movie. I do believe that the vast majority of work is done with whatever is still handy at that time, and most likely the box store sales, not the 500.00 Sebenzas.:D I guess I am agreeing with you.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  18. Whitedog

Whitedog

Dec 30, 2005
    Buck 501. Purchased i the 70s. Still going strong.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  19. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    196623F7-10C8-44EB-9138-1B370CEA1D1D.jpeg E7B255C7-B94D-4B43-A558-89E0B6AF7D83.jpeg
    They have a whole line of knives. From large chef and butcher knives to oyster knives of every style imaginable. They even have a boning hook!

The pairing knife is similar with a plain edge. You can literally buy them by the bucket. These are restaurant knives. Built to take abuse.

Made in America by a company over 200 years old.

For the record this is the only serated knife I’ve ever liked.

JAB and DangerZone98 like this.
  20. f1addict

f1addict Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Opinel #8