Choose a knife for ED

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by JohnDF, Mar 17, 2020.

Pick a knife for ED...

Poll closed Mar 18, 2020.
  1. #1 Bark River Fixed

9.8%
  2. #2 Case Half Whittler

8.2%
  3. #3 Case Med Stockman

3.3%
  4. #4 Case Mini Trapper

4.9%
  5. #5 Case Tribal Lock

3.3%
  6. #6 GEC 73 Trapper

52.5%
  7. #8 Queen Whittler

16.4%
  8. #11 Wright's Ettrick

1.6%
  1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I won Mike's Challenge GAW, in honor of my friend @Modoc ED who is recovering from a surgery.
    ED has tasked me with choosing the knife for him, leaving me free to pick whatever I want, which is a lot of pressure. :eek:
    ED has a lot of friends here on The Porch, so I thought why not let them all choose his prize. Because I want to keep the GAW rolling and give the other winners a chance to choose their knives in a timely manner, as well as let Mike get things mailed off quickly, I'll make my final choice by the end of the day. Help me decide which knife ED wins... Here are pictures of the knives to choose from:

I'm not much of a SAK or Buck guy, not sure about ED, but I removed those choices.
    [​IMG]

Starting left to right, top to bottom…
    1. Bark River Little Creek in A2, maroon micarta handle - includes sheath so it can be worn on your belt, or dropped in your pocket (I prefer it in the pocket).
    2. Case SS Half-Whittler (I believe the covers were called red barn bone?)
    3. Case Medium Stockman with punch in CV, black synthetic covers
    4. Case SS Wharncliffe Mini Trapper, smooth natural bone covers
    5. Case SS Tribal Lock, black micarta covers
    6. GEC Tidioute 73, black box brown jigged bone covers
    7. Buck 503
    8. Queen #48 Whittler in D2, American walnut covers
    9. Victorinox Compact with nylon scales from Remade Knives
    10. Victorinox Pioneer X
    11. A. Wright & Son Ebony Ettrick

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    meako, Nate Perkins, Pàdruig and 7 others like this.
  2. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Fantastic idea John! :D

3. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    I’d like the best for Ed... so my choice of the bunch would be the 73!

4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Hope Ed is doing well :) You're a kind soul John :) I know Ed has a lot of knives, I'm not sure just what he has and hasn't got, but I don't recall him posting a pic of a Bark River knife. It's a great looking knife too, so I voted for the Barkie :) Once again Mike, a very generous giveaway, and a lot of fun :cool:

mitch4ging, Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  5. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I'm sure Queen #48 Whittler in D2, American walnut covers will help him recover quickly. Y' know, by these times, better be prudent! :)

6. gaj999

gaj999

Jan 25, 2004
    I love the idea, but I don't know Ed well enough to know which he's like best. I'll sit back and watch the show.

Jody744 and JohnDF like this.
  7. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Hard to say but when I look at that selection I am drawn to 4 knives the Bark River, the Queen, the GEC, and the A. Wright. Nothing wrong with other choices but those are the stand outs for me I would rank them like this for my personal appeal.

#1 Queen
    #2 A. Wright & Son
    #3 GEC
    #4 Bark River

Jolipapa, mitch4ging and JohnDF like this.
  8. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Those four really stand out to me too. :cool::thumbsup:
    Mike is a generous guy and really put some good stuff out there.

Jolipapa, mitch4ging and Jack Black like this.
  9. PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    When we talk about the Porch a GEC is always a good choice but the Queen is a real beauty and they are nice pieces to add to collections now that they are out of production. That A. Wright & Son has such a sleek look to it and general uncommon appeal that hard not to put it up near the top. The fixed is just one of those things that looks nice and can be practical in so many ways but they are a tougher bit to judge its worthiness.

Jolipapa likes this.
  10. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I voted for the GEC trapper because (1) I think Ed is partial to trappers; (2) GEC is about as good as it gets for traditionals; and (3) that's the best looking knife of the lot (in my opinion! :)).

Modoc ED and Pinemoon like this.
  11. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I don't know Ed's tastes, but I voted for the GEC.
    The Bark River, then the Tribal Lock are my 2-3rd picks.

I suspect the GEC will win the poll.

Prester John and mitch4ging like this.
  12. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    This is true. ED started the Trapper Tuesday Thread. :cool::thumbsup:

Prester John and mitch4ging like this.
  13. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I think it should be the trapper, also. You are a good friend John, Ed will be pleased, I'm sure, no matter the choice.

Prester John, JohnDF and mitch4ging like this.
  14. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    I don't know Ed very well - we've commented on each other's posts a few times over the past year. I chose the GEC 73 because who wouldn't like that one? Next choice would've been the Bark River.

By the way, this is a really great display of friendship and generosity and I think reinforces why we all hang out here so much. Well done and continued prayers to Ed for a speedy recovery!

Storm 8593, Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  15. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    After being reminded of Ed's trapper Tuesday thread I changed my vote. Great idea John! :thumbsup::D I was in the team Ed camp as well. If have never come up with this...

Prester John likes this.
  16. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    FWIW, I clicked on this thread out of concern that you were looking for a knife to cure an issue with the function of your...gentleman parts.;)

I don’t know what Ed would like, but both the Compact (my first choice) or the Pioneer X could change your mind about SAKs if you make one of those *your* choice.

hornetguy, Jody744 and JohnDF like this.
  17. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    I think it comes either the GEC trapper or the Queen whittler, and I'll throw my vote for the trapper since Ed seemed partial to them. Hope you're feeling better Ed, I've missed your cantankerous posts.

JohnDF and Prester John like this.
  18. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    73s don’t grow on trees. Best wishes to Ed.

Modoc ED, JohnDF and Prester John like this.
  19. PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    I thought about changing mine too but then I also thought how sometimes not giving a person what they would get, or in this case pick, themselves it better.

JohnDF and Wild Willie like this.
  20. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I voted for the Case 6208 half whittler.

That's what I entered with and am still carrying it having reminded myself how much I love this knife.
    They're a great underappreciate knife, only thing that could make 'em better is the availability of CV.

Storm 8593 and JohnDF like this.