1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Choosing a knife steel

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by duffer128, Sep 9, 2019.

1. duffer128

duffer128

Aug 15, 2014
    By way of background, I am an amateur blacksmith with about 10 years of general blacksmithing experience and now want to make a few knifes. I need help choosing the best steel to suit my limitations, as follows:

1. I'm using a coal forge with a hand cranked blower. No special temperature control other than the color of the hot metal and a magnet to see when it becomes nonmagnetic.

2. I will be using a kitchen oven for tempering. It has a range of about plus and minus 8 degrees centigrade around whatever it is set to.

3. I will be using either water of canola oil for quenching.

4. I will be buying steel from New Jersey Steel Baron and can choose from most common types, 1095, 1084, 5160, etc, etc.

With these considerations/limitations, which steel would you suggest

Thank you

2. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Im no bladesmith but do not quench in water. I would start with 1095 or 1084 steel.

ShannonSteelLabs likes this.
  3. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    1084 would probably be your best starter steel.

4. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
  5. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    A friend who uses similar equipment went with 80crv2 for his knife making endeavors and has been quite happy with it.

6. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    1084 with canola oil will make you a great knife.

hugofeynman likes this.