1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Chopper: M9 vs R9

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by cybrok, Mar 6, 2015.

1. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    Hey guys.

I am looking for a big blade, but am not quite ready yet to put the money on a Battle Mistress. Someday.

[​IMG]

I used to love Ranger Knives, but with Ontario it's just not the same. I have a Bushcraft Series RD9, I wanted to save on the weight, but it is a bit thin for the job (3/16). I want the knife for the usual bushcraft/survival stuff: Chopping, batoning, carving notches (so the handle needs to be comfy when choked up), etc.

I haven't checked the Swamp Rat lineup for a while, I just noticed the new handle shape on the rodents. Anybody know the background for that shape? How does it feel in the hand, especially in small hands.

I was thinking about getting a M9, but I am not sure I can get one for the price I could get a Rodent 9.

Between these 2 knives, which one would you chose and why? I saw the Scrapyard 911, but the handle just doesn't seem designed to be choked up, but that might just be me.

2. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The 'lightning strike' handles on Rodent line are love/hate affair for a lot of folks. I've got smallish hands and for me up to R5 they are comfy, but R7 & R9 are not, the hump spreads my fingers too far apart. Folks with larger paws are mostly happy with them.
    911 is very comfy in hand, quite a bit lighter than R9, and Res-C is perfect for a heavy duty user, as long as you don't plan on batoning the handle. You can do detailed work with it using the choil fairly comfortably.
    M9 is quite comfy in hand too, but the handle is quite wide and if your hands are really small, it might not be comfy for you at all.

3. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    Not sure I like the sound of that. I do baton on the handle sometimes, and have smaller hands :(

4. Andy919

Andy919

May 8, 2014
    Ask the custom ahop to thin out the scales and remove the hump! I was thinking about ordering an r7 without the hump and some hand shaped scales.

5. boring

boring Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I would not say I have large hands and I like the rodent 9 handles very much.

6. ragnerok

ragnerok

Oct 25, 2008
    My medium sized hands love both the M9 and the Res-C handles like on this Basic-9, which is similar to the SYKCO 911. Both knives chop equally...

[​IMG]

7. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight

Jan 24, 2012
    Chopweiler!!!!!!!!!

8. Snakebreaker

Snakebreaker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Funny you say that. I've actually been fondling mine for the past few hours. Pure LOVE.

9. Blade Runner 7

Blade Runner 7 Affordable Anodizing Services

Oct 26, 2010
    M9. I like the R9 as well but the M9 is a better knife in my opinion.

10. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    I think I'd take Rat Mastiff over M9. Unless M9 had the handle of R6, for me it would make a world of difference.

11. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    I will try to get my hands on a M9, and if I can't I'll get a dehumped R9. I contacted Swamp Rat and it's really not that expensive.

12. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    The Swamp really needs to put a guardless R6 handle on bigger blades, lets get it done Josh!

13. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    I'm a little biased, I have all three but the user is the Mastiff. One amazing big knife. There's a pic of that one somewhere around here. I'll never let that one go.

14. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    I wish Swamp would have made the Chop Mastiff, that proto pic makes me salivate! Rat Mastiff is pretty damn cool too.

15. leatherman

Nov 30, 2001
    I do wish as well. The only one that could dethrone my Rat Mastiff. Too bad :(

16. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    I just bought a M9 :)

Now... what pants to get? I am not a big fan of kydex.

Savage leather? Chuddy Bear? Others?

17. leatherman

Nov 30, 2001
    Pictures! We must have Pictures!!! :D :D :D

18. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    Naah! Go with Leatherman!!! ;)

19. kenash

kenash

May 23, 2010
    Spot on elof. I'll second Armoralleather's Leatherman, and his wife's fine leather wrangling skills!

20. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    That is one sweet-looking M9 you got coming, man. Mr. Puckett has an M9 in-house.