1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Chopper: M9 vs R9

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by cybrok, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Cybrok, I have recently purchased a few Swamprats. I am not a Swamprat owner in the past, but I am impressed at how sharp out of the box these knives were. In fact my dullest knife is my scrapyard 911 and it is not dull. But the M9 and an R9 I got are both shaving sharp. I am a Busse fan and own INFI. The reason why I got these is because I know a lot about SR101(where it came from and what it is). When you buy one you are paying for an incredible steel, and heat treat at a price that no other company can come close to performance wise. I agree with you that there is no excuse to receive a crappy edge and I am sure if you ship it to them, they will sharpen it for you. However, you may want to find a local knife maker and for not much money he can reprofile the edge and put a wicked edge that you will love on it. Most people do this anyway. Or you can sell it and go with something else. However, I can tell you that there is nothing in it's price range that you can get that will even come close to it's durability. There are lots of knifemakers in Canada that could easily help you out for not much money. Also, at some point reprofiling and sharpening are a skill that you may want to pick up.