Chris Reeve Knives History Timeline To Date & Blade Steel Timeline

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by nyefmaker, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Nrthfce

Nrthfce

Sep 17, 2014
    I tried searching it throughout the forum with no luck. When did CRK phase out the flat style clip for their current improved "double grab" style clip on the sebenza?

2. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    During the BG-42 steel era. Not sure of the actual month and year though. Will have to see what I can find. I have and have had both BG-42 with both clips for confirmation of that.

3. Corytr

Corytr

Sep 10, 2013
    It was in mid 2001 that the clip style changed.

4. Nrthfce

Nrthfce

Sep 17, 2014
    Hmm, kinda concerning. I have no concerns about the legitimacy of any of the knives, themselves, but maybe the clips????. I recently got a small lefty reg s30v stamped A03 with a flat clip. I already possessed a UG large reg s30v stamped D02 with a flat clip, and a bg42 rh small reg stamped B00 small reg with a flat clip.

Is it possible they were still releasing a few after your described time frame?

Large UG s30v Stamped D02
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Left- Lefty small reg s30v Stamped A03
    Right- Small reg bg42 Stamped B00
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    *edit: the camera angle makes one knife appear bigger than the other. These two knives are exactly the same size and the clips are identical. When I was questioning why this 03 has a flat clip, I removed both and held them up only to find that they are completely identical in size, bends, and texture.

Kinda interesting as well. Normally the date codes I have seen, albeit on all righty's, are stamped towards the spine of the knife closer to the spacer... whereas on this lefty it is stamped towards the bottom lock-bar side. Possibly for manufacturing/stamping purposes.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  5. nyefmaker

Sep 29, 2008
    I am sure they had some left over. Plus it could have been a special request. Just like with the One Piece Knives, some USA have hex caps while others the round caps. It's what they had left and once used up they went with the newer style. Both of yours are genuine if that's the concern. My timeline is a general reference for the knives themselves and model dates. I did not ask CRK when a clip was changed, when a stop pin was changed, when a lanyard was changed, etc. I am eternally grateful with what they have provided me and will leave it at that. I have both, but most of my flat clip are BG-42. I will not that this was near the end of the BG-42 run and a year later were transitioning to S30V. So it makes even more sense.

6. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Here is one that you may not have seen before.

Chris made a bunch of these for me in late 85. I called them "The Sting" and sold them for the princely sum of 45 GBP each. Hand ground by Chris from 440B. These were a basic version of his custom boot knife.

This one I gifted to a friend in Durban over 20 years ago. I visited him this past weekend and he pulled it out.......lots of memories.

The sheath is original.

[​IMG]

7. Nrthfce

Nrthfce

Sep 17, 2014
    Thank you. It wasn't a major concern or scaring me for any reason. Personally, I liked that it matched my righty. I just thought it was a fun continued discussion of CRK history and at what point they made changes. Your timeline is impeccable. I just thought it kinda fit into this thread.

8. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    Or possibly a previous owner switching them out? Like every other change CRK makes, people insist the old version was better. Makes me suspect someone swapped the clips themselves.

9. Falco57

Falco57

Jan 27, 2012
    I just Updated the Mnandi type list with Umzimbeet, Thuya, Spalted Beech and Bog Oak

Inviato da mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk HD

10. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    Indian Rosewood.

Not my knife or pic...

[​IMG]

11. Falco57

Falco57

Jan 27, 2012
    Thank you!
    But how many woods did they used?
    If seems an endless story

Inviato da mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk HD

12. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    I'm betting they used a lot more than we know about. It wouldn't be hard at all for Chris to have gotten small samples or various woods and just make a few from each. Handwritten birthcards and no real tracking of numbers would make it simple.

13. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
    That piece is beautiful.
    Could you put more photos ?.
    Thank you.

14. nickpp

nickpp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 11, 2005
    [​IMG]

From an old brochure.....

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  15. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    Looks to be around 2000ish. I see the one some of us know as Galaxy is really called Solar Wind.

16. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    Updates to 2000 and 2004...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  17. Blackrhino12

Blackrhino12

Nov 4, 2016
    I have a hollow handle with a saw back. Seems to be in very good condition. I'll try to post some photos. Its in my SDB now. Are these Chris Reeves knives collectable?

18. nyefmaker

Sep 29, 2008
    Very much so.

19. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Mar 19, 2002
    Bump up to the top

20. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    :thumbup: