Christmas with family - "why do you always carry knives?"

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CanadaKnifeGuy, Dec 26, 2019.

1. glwanabe

glwanabe

Jan 30, 2007
    Family doesn't ask, and if they did ask about it, it would be more in line with, what are you carrying, as opposed to why.
    I've reached an age where I don't feel the need to explain my life to other people. I'm also pretty low key about stuff. I keep to myself a lot.

hunter55 and jmh33 like this.
  2. HWF

HWF Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2012
    The more common question: “Can you cut this for me?” Lol

colin.p likes this.
  3. Crikeyyy

Crikeyyy Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 14, 2019
    Most of my family hates my "large" 3"+ blades, but have grown to accept it.

My grandfather and uncle like pocket knives, but only small ones under 2". I whip out a spyderco or a benchmade, and they look at it with 0 approval.

My grandmother is straight up scared of them. She got stopped by a ribbon this year, and since I was beside her: asked me if I had a knife.
    I said "yeah, but let me see the package to cut it for you"
    She says "thats ok, I can do it"
    * *I snap open a 4" benchmade with a loud SNAP, and hold it out to her handle first* *
    "Oh......you better do it" she says

Pinemoon and CanadaKnifeGuy like this.
  4. BearMGCHafter

BearMGCHafter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 18, 2010
    As a kid, every man in the family (and several women) had a knife on them. Buck 110's and Schrade LB7's on their belt or a slip joint in their front pocket. My grandfather told me that every man should have three things on them at all times, a knife, watch and pen! 30+ years later and the tradition continues. Every man in my house on Christmas day had at least one knife on them and there was quite a bit of time standing by the safe or outside at their vehicle admiring various guns. There were a few knives gifted and my youngest sister managed to talk me into selling her one of my Smith & Wesson Shields she's had her eye on since I let her shoot it a few months ago.

5. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    It is easier for me as they don’t really ask anymore :)

i carry knives, but I use them only for my personal needs so they do their own things and I do mines ;)

mat this point no one try to convince the others they shall do differently

6. Crikeyyy

Dec 14, 2019
    The problem is alot of people see a fancy knife and the first word to pop up in their head is *weapon*

7. SteelPanther

SteelPanther

Nov 9, 2019
    "Can I borrow your knife or are you cutting for me"... I carry 2 knives every Christmas, the one I'm using and the one they're all using...this year I had a manix 2 and they had gerber

8. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    The funny thing is, that no one around me is worried about me and behaving violently, inappropriately or even recklessly or carelessly with a knife.

Same with the select few friends or even coworkers that know I carry an edged tool with me.

But... I do self-censor... Like... My Alox Electrician or my Leatherman PS4 squirt are just about the only things I'll break out at work.

I think ppl are just unused to pocket knives themselves and are either taken aback or just nervous about the tool itself... Because it's not a knife thing...

These ppl cut steaks, roasts, etc at home and no one gets weirded out about someone using a shiny 8" kitchen knife to cut someone's retirement cake... :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:o_O

9. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I'm "the knife guy" in all my circles. Always have been.

I embrace it and try to work knife gifts into holidays when it (even sorta) fits.

This Year...

Close colleague and friend's 40th birthday? Leatherman Skeletool.

My daughter's roommate's birthday (male and yes platonic)? Leatherman Skeletool.

Adult niece's birthday? SAK Evolution Grip with added eyeglass screw driver.

Nephews birthday? Byrd Robin.

Son In Law for Christmas? Previously went with sharpening stones, realized he likes sharp knives but lacks the passion for sharpening so Work Sharp.

Family Christmas White Elephant? Dexter Russell Chinese "vegetable" clever that I thinned, reprofiled, and softened all the edges.

Sharp & Fiery and CanadaKnifeGuy like this.
  10. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    The longest blade I carry daily is a BK14 which has a 3.25" blade length and people aren't generally put off or startled by it.

My other edcs are 3" or shorter and either fixed, slipjoints or spydercos.

I don't carry flippers or axis-lock blades that snap out loudly and can be confused with a switch blade. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My Tasman Salt would raise pulses, I'm sure... Being that it's so pointy and serrated (a fellow freediver and knife guy jokingly called it the disembowler - and yes.. I have used it to gut fish... :p), but I only carry it for emergency use like entanglements, rope, seatbelts, etc or any other specialty application for a hawkbill.

3" is my ideal size range and I shy away from double edged and too tacticool knives. Small and practical. That helps, I think.

Anything more than 3.5oz is too much.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    GeofS and Crikeyyy like this.
  11. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    Another thing I've started doing is when I go to someones house for dinner, I take my work sharp and put sharp, durable edges on their kitchen knives.

I then show them the paper test and tell them to be careful.... They are sharp.

Ppl get used to such dull kitchen knives!

It's always been well received! Ppl are thankful.

12. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I usually give knives at Christmas. My family expects them.

13. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    If someone asks me that, I make sure to carry a tomahawk next time I see them and a machete both strapped to my back.

CanadaKnifeGuy likes this.
  14. Crikeyyy

Dec 14, 2019
    Show up dressed as a samurai with katana & wakizashi strapped on

15. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
    My grandmother doesn’t get made fun of. Ever.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  16. Crikeyyy

Dec 14, 2019
    Nobody is making fun of any grandmas, sparky

17. Crikeyyy

Dec 14, 2019
    Nobody is

18. Michael Pattarozzi

Michael Pattarozzi

Jul 15, 2018
    "Always carry a knife with you in case there's cheesecake, or you need to stab someone in the throat."

General Mattis

Pinemoon and glwanabe like this.
  19. pholder

pholder

Feb 16, 2005
    Years ago my daughter was on a swim team, the team mom thought it was a good idea to bring baked potatoes, oops no knife, i happily handed her my Benchmade mini grip and the first words out of her mouth were, what are you going to kill with that thing, i smiled and told her i carry it in case someone needs to cut a potato.
    thanks for listening, troy

hunter55 and CanadaKnifeGuy like this.
  20. Sgt 127

Sgt 127

Mar 26, 2002
    I carry a SAK all the time. If asked, it’s used to tighten the grip screws on my 1911.

Pomsbz and Hickory n steel like this.