1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

Classic Bagwells anyone?

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Jackel, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Jackel

Jackel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2018
    I recently was invited and visited Bill Bagwell for lunch and an afternoon at his home in Texas. First let me say that he is a very gracious host and it was an absolute pleasure to spend an afternoon with the master of custom combat Bowies. While I was there I shared photos of one of my Bagwells that is quite old and frankly so old that it is likely unrecognizable to most Bagwell collectors who don’t know much about Bill’s early work and haven’t seen his early catalogs. This particular blade is a pre1974 dagger that Bill made with a mirror polished blade and an ebony handle and a brass guard. Bill was floored to see the knife and said that it is quite possibly one of two (or possibly the oldest) Bagwell knife that he is aware is still in existence. It also has the original crooked “B” stamp on the ricasso which was the first stamp he used when he began forging blades in his original coal fired forge. Of course the carbon steel blade is old but (and as a testament to Bill’s craftsmanship) is in remarkably near mint condition despite being at least 47 years old (Bill told me he still has an original 8x10 black and white of him with the blade during a photo shoot in 1973). Bill made very few daggers during his career and in this style and type he made “exactly one”. Of course the blade being as old as it was no longer had the original sheath and Bill said that he would like to make it a new proper sheath for it but in the original style. To my surprise he and his wife Sidra put together the sheath in lighting fast time and I received a call this past Sunday from Bill that the sheath was finished and would be shipping out the next day. He made the sheath in the same style that it originally came and even custom turned the frog on his lathe to closely resemble the original although it was from entirely from memory since he didn’t have an original to copy. Needless to say the sheath arrived today and I couldn’t be more pleased. Bill is a genuinely stand up guy and it is my honor and privilege to have gotten to know he and Sidra.

Anyone else have any classics to include? I’d love to see more. Enjoy the photos gentlemen and thanks again Bill.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mecha, Bai Lang, fonedork and 3 others like this.
  2. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    That’s a hell of a post for the photos not to show!

Bigfattyt, Mecha, Jackel and 3 others like this.
  3. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Right click each and "open image in new tab" and you can see the picts.

Great blade and love the sheath

Jackel likes this.
  4. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I guess it’s a phone thing.

Bigfattyt likes this.
  5. Jackel

Feb 1, 2018
    [​IMG]

6. Jackel

Feb 1, 2018
    Sorry guys I must have screwed something up

Mecha likes this.
  7. Jackel

Feb 1, 2018
    [​IMG]

8. Jackel

Feb 1, 2018
    And yes the right click and show image thing works perfectly

9. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Unless I’m on a phone....

Bigfattyt and Mike157 like this.
  10. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Or iPad....

Bigfattyt likes this.
  11. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i became a fan after i got his book and learned about bowies. at one point i had 9 of his blades. i only have 4 now, and one of them luckily is a dagger.

Jackel and Bigfattyt like this.
  12. Bai Lang

Bai Lang

Jul 31, 2009
    Mr. Bagwell is the "Hattori Hanzo" of Bowie knives- king of the Bowie's imo. I only have a Ontario Bagwell but even that is out standing.

A real Bagwell Bowie in my mind- is like Excaliber

Great post thank you!

bowie69 and Jackel like this.
  13. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013

Ya, his Bowies look positively wicked. I had the pleasure of talking to him on the phone for a while about how to make a proper Bowie, and he was very cool and a real hoot!

Jackel, Bigfattyt and Bai Lang like this.
  14. parfums95

parfums95 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 24, 2008
    it would do us good from time to time to see his knives ...

Bai Lang likes this.
  15. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Is no one going to help the rest of us out by re uploading the photos for those of us who can't right click?

3fifty7 and john april like this.
  16. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    fonedork, Stumpy, d762nato and 4 others like this.
  17. Jackel

Feb 1, 2018
    I’ve got one coming soon... I’ll make sure to post it up and hopefully I’ll get the photos properly posted this time

parfums95 likes this.
  18. Jackel

Feb 1, 2018
    I’ll get on it and figure out what happened

19. Jackel

Feb 1, 2018
    Gentlemen... success! IMG_5519.JPG IMG_5523.JPG IMG_5530.JPG IMG_5531.JPG IMG_5533.JPG IMG_5536.JPG IMG_7001.JPG IMG_7002.JPG IMG_7003.JPG

20. Jackel

Feb 1, 2018
    And for making everyone wait here's another one.... Bill said it is probably the only patch knife that he ever did in Damascus... IMG_5492.JPG IMG_5493.JPG IMG_5494.JPG

fonedork, Dawkind, Jsega51 and 2 others like this.