1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Cleaning and maintance

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Brybenn, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Brybenn

Brybenn

Jun 18, 2019
    So i used my para military 2 s110v to open bags of bomix 30 which is portman cement and when wet sets in minutes. Now that my burple scales are covered in the powdered cement and so is the action .Im at a loss for the best method to clean. Running water thru it risks any remaining left over powder setting up in the action .High pressure air may just delay the issue for any left next time i get the knife wet .
    Im canadian so sending it for warrenty isnt an option as id likely not get it back so im open to disassembling it and cleaning the internals but how the hell do i clean the textured g10?

uxo2 likes this.
  2. FullFlatMind

FullFlatMind

May 30, 2019
    I open bags of concrete using my Pacific Salt and usually it just takes a quick rinse. I have scrubbed the FRN handles with a toothbrush and soapy water with success.

3. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Scrub it with a toothbrush while it’s submerged in water, either while it’s together or apart depending on how bad the situation is. That’s what I’d do. Also, I think someone makes a concrete dissolver.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  4. ric75

ric75

Jun 2, 2017
    I would use much water and soap.
    Maybe under the shower with more pressure and use foam (shaving lather) to reach all parts. Also move all parts. Then rinse with much water and dry with kitchen paper.

5. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013

jux t, jpm2 and Lapedog like this.
  6. Brybenn

Brybenn

Jun 18, 2019
    Thanks for the replys. I watched that vid before posting .Ended up in the hospital with my wife all afternoon and into the night so i didnt get a chance to touch it . Ill go buy a new toothbrush today and use a jet stream adapter on the hose. I just didnt want to have the cement set in the action

jux t likes this.
  7. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Hope all is well with you and yours.

8. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    If i can offer some advise. Get yourself a cheaper knife eg- Rough Rider or Marbles stockman for doing those sorts of jobs or any other dirty work that requires a knife. That way you can still clean them up, but if they do jam up for whatever reason, you have not lost a really good knife. I have a couple of cheap sharp knives for those sorts of jobs, and they always clean up okay, might not look brand new, but they still cut well. Hope this helps, and you can get your knife cleaned up.

FullFlatMind likes this.
  9. FullFlatMind

FullFlatMind

May 30, 2019
    I completely agree with this. If you really want to use a Spyderco for these tasks, I would recommend something in H1 with FRN. The Salt, Pacific Salt, or even the Native 5 Salt (LC200N). They are pretty easy to wash and can take regular cleaning without having to worry about corrosion.

Another good option would be a fixed blade knife. Then you don't have to worry about the action getting messed up.

10. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    Excellent advise. I never even thought of that, that is the great thing about the forum, A lot of intelligent people out there. A lot more intelligent than me!!!

11. Brybenn

Brybenn

Jun 18, 2019
    I generally use and carry a tenacious but since i got the pm2 ive been carrying it. I bought it as a tool to use. Ive already scratched up the blade . I dont mind it getting stained or dirty i just didnt want the cement powder to set up in the action . Im used to regular cement not this bomix stuff . It set up enough to support a 4x4x10' within 5 mins . great stuff when its where its suppose to be
    I have a collection of knives and all get used i just cant leave them sit in their packaging. I know guys almost cry when i use my sebenzas to cut things but dont have a concern in the world when i use my 40 000 dollar pickup to haul stuff lol

The g10 i think will be salvagable and stay blue . ive been grinding my thumbs against it while im waiting for the dr .

12. Brybenn

Brybenn

Jun 18, 2019
    Thanks. All is not well though

13. Coiloil37

Coiloil37

Dec 2, 2013
    I wouldn’t be afraid to just wash it regardless of how fast the cement will set up. That said, a bit of sugar in the water/soda/juice that you use to clean it with and that cement will never set up.

14. FullFlatMind

FullFlatMind

May 30, 2019
    This is mine from this weekend. It looked worse than this before I finally hosed it off. No issues with opening or closing. Later I hit it with soapy water and the toothbrush just to make sure.
    [​IMG]

15. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Give it a real good shake to get most of the dust off and then run it through the dishwasher.

16. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    I have never used anything that could rejuvenate G-10 handles like Ballistol. It really does make them look even better than new in some instances. It cleans, restores and protects G-10 material better than anything. I've got that same PARA2 model but so far I have not yet used it that hard. But every G-10 Spyderco knife I've ever cleaned, restored or just left a protective coating>> nothing works better than Ballistol>> I would welcome to know about anything that could do better than that product.

Use a soft or medium bristle toothbrush and take your time and I do believe you'll be very satisfied with the results.

17. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    I have been using it for years. Fantastic all round product. i agree!!!

18. Brybenn

Brybenn

Jun 18, 2019
    I got it all cleaned up. Gotta say im not overly impressed with the s110v blade. It cuts cardboard well but doesnt keep a sharp edge for long .

19. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Hey what do you guys use for just basic cleaning? The reason I ask is because the old reliable "DAWN" dishwashing soap has been my favorite ever since it was released by P & G. They now have a new "Platinum Dawn" 4X that I've found can really get a really filthy, greasy pocket knife as clean as new. That stuff is much better than the original Dawn and overnight soaking really works miracles on some cleaning jobs. I've also used the Platinum Dawn 4X for overnight soaking to clean sharpening stones. And after an all night soak most any sharpening stone is much easier to thoroughly clean after that.

But again that Ballistol has some good cleaning properties for petroleum based stuff that you could dirty your folder with. And I've never found any type of cleaner that works as good for certain types of jobs like "Bar Keeper's Friend" cleanser you can get from your grocer or hardware store. It's the best thing I've ever found for cleaning stainless steels.

20. bearfacedkiller

bearfacedkiller

Jan 23, 2014
    It is easy to blame the steel and hard to fault our own sharpening ability. S110V is a tricky animal and harder than most steels to get a good bur free edge on.

Don’t take this the wrong way. I am just trying to encourage you to keep at it. S110V can perform very well once you get a feel for it.