1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Coffin Handle Bowie - Terry Vandeventer, MS

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by SharpByCoop, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Just finished. Terry's work isn't that commonly seen, but it's universally appealing.

[​IMG]

Here's Terry's report card:
    • Blade length: 8" OAL: 13"
    • Blade material: mosaic damascus 1084 & 15n20 steel
    • Bolster guard material: mosaic damascus
    • Scale handle material: African Blackwood with nickel silver domed pins
    • Frame material: damascus interframe with file worked nickel silver liners
    Your thoughts are welcome. Terry will be along soon.

Coop

Outlawed likes this.
  2. peterinct

peterinct

Dec 13, 1999
    Great looking knife and I imagine it is even nicer if holding it!

Peter

3. John M Cohea

John M Cohea

Oct 24, 2007
    Beautiful!! Terry is a Mastersmith that flies under the radar, but his work is simply spectacular, and he is a super nice guy as well, and a fellow Ms. guy to boot!

4. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    That's a really attractive bowie - thanks for the look, Coop. Hope we see more of Terry's work on the forums.

Roger

5. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Beautiful Bowie, Beautiful photo.

IMO, this piece demonstrates where African Blackwood serves an excellent design purpose in toning down the abundance of highly figured damascus to make an incredible overall presentation.

6. Jos

Jos

Oct 23, 2006
    Very nice. The damascus is really beautiful. Nice details (filework) on the handle. Interesting shape of the guard.

Nice pic!

Kind regards,

Jos

7. brightred

brightred

Aug 23, 2004
    i like it very much, especially the blade shape and that damascus pattern. yep, that damascus is beautiful!

hans

8. Keith Montgomery

Keith Montgomery

May 9, 2000
    That style of guard is starting to grow on me. I never used to care for it. The steel looks great. Coffin handles have never been my favorite, but it is style that works really well on this knife. All-in-all, a beautiful knife.

9. tvandeventer

tvandeventer

Oct 5, 2006
    Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. This knife is the fourth in a row that I have made for the Phatwater Kayak Race in Natchez, Mississippi. Paddlers from around the United States race on the Mississippi River from Port Gibson to Natchez (about 45 miles). They cross the finish line at Natchez Under the Hill.

Due to the historic relevance of the Sand Bar Fight of 1827, event coordinator Keith Benoist commisions me to make a bowie knife to be raffled off at the end of the race. They sell $5,000 worth of tickets and the proceeds are donated to the local animal shelter.

I am compensated for my work through the generosity of well-known antique bowie collector, Mike Worley. The knife is accompanied by a beatifully crafted box in the shape of, you guessed it, a coffin. I have not seen the box yet but I have seen Wally Erickson's work in the past, and this year's presentation case should be phenominal.

I can post info if anyone is interested in buying raffle tickets, maybe winning the knife & box, and helping all of the little cats & dogs in Jim Bowie's old home town.

And as always, Coop did a fine job!

Cheers,

Terry Vandeventer

10. Keith Montgomery

Keith Montgomery

May 9, 2000
    Please do post the info.

11. Chris Nolen

Chris Nolen

May 30, 2007
    I have seen the knife they are raffleing off when I was at the recent Antique Knife show in Natchez....it is a great knife! I wish I had bought 10 or 12 tickets instead of just one....again, Great Work!

12. Shore08

Shore08

Sep 3, 2008
    Very beautiful knife. Really good looking!

Is Terry the same Terry that does animal/reptile shows? I think I remember going to some of his when I was a kid! If he is, what a small world!

13. mmmotorcycle

mmmotorcycle Midnight Joker #42 Platinum Member

Jun 17, 2006
    That is an incredible knife!

14. tvandeventer

tvandeventer

Oct 5, 2006
    shore08,

That's me!

Cheers,

TV

15. Shore08

Shore08

Sep 3, 2008
    Sorry to be off topic, but I just want to thank you for the good memories and educating shows from my childhood :)

16. Stuart Willis

Stuart Willis

Nov 6, 2006
    Beautiful knife indeed!

17. heath1

heath1

Jun 27, 2019
    Hello. Am the owner of this beautiful knife.
    I am trying to get in touch with the wood craftsman of the display box,
    Wally Erickson.
    Sadly, the leather sheath did not make it. Was not giving with the knife and
    display box.

18. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    @heath1

Give him a holler:Terry Vandeventer <vandeventerterry AT gmail DOT com>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.