Cold Steel Boar Spear saves woman's life

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Halfneck, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    Yup

2. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    You are an expert? Yup?

3. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Great story- thanks for sharing it. Can't believe I had never heard about it before.

Piercing the lungs and heart is impressive.

4. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011

even Lynn knows gun beats spear every time......:)

Pilsner likes this.
  5. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Well, dogs often will attract predators (especially small yappy ones)... bears don't like 'em and cougars regard them as a tasty snack. I'd go with the boar spear... or a .30-06 or a 12 gauge pump loaded with alternating buck and slugs.

hiwa likes this.
  6. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    You need a couple of badass hunting dogs.

7. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    I actually believe my (at the time-now long gone :() German Shepard saved the day when I stupidly wandered from my campsite in the Jemez, many years ago, and left my 30-30 against a tree and my .357 in the tent to go check something? out across a stream and then noticed something further on to look at. The dog suddenly stopped, the hair on it's back standing up, and just growled. I impatiently said "common Tan" but he would not budge. I looked where he was looking and saw a "painter" (mountain lion) at the top of a hill maybe 50 feet away, looking right at me. :eek: I (with Tan) backed slowly away toward the campsite. I believe the cat decided that the large dog + human = too much and did not spring. WHEW, I would have loved a CS Boar Spear just then. ;) This was AFTER surviving booby traps, ambushes, etc. in 'nam just a couple of years before (how quickly we can forget). :rolleyes: People can be careless; dogs (big ones) are great. :cool: I have NEVER been in condition "white" since. :thumbsup:

palonej, Cath Palug and DocJD like this.
  8. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    Are you ?

McFeeli likes this.
  9. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Apparently..

I know no matter where I lived I tended to have a medium-large dog alongside me. My Golden Retriever spooked off a young Black Bear when he was young himself, maybe 2 or 3. The bear didn't appear to be a danger to me, but Maxwell saw him long before I did. His pacing and barking spooked the bear off pretty quick. Now the husky I got now would more than likely run right to it just to find out what it is(he's a curious bastard, porcupines and skunks seem to be his favorite toys, haha).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    katanas likes this.
  10. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    Alot of those on the interwebz

11. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Quite. I’m questioning the interwebz automatic flow chart. That is quite the break through in academic study. I’m intrigued. :)

Go on, chaps, teach us some more.

shinyedges and jbmonkey like this.
  12. Halfneck

Halfneck

Jun 30, 2005
    Good to hear :thumbsup:

13. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    Oh an academic ! How quaint
    Lol
    Are you a student of medieval weapons perhaps?

14. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    OOPs.

15. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    It's the dog's job to get the bear to the ten yard line. After that it's up to the human.

16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    I prefer something more Sako'y....

[​IMG]

palonej and Airborne 1 like this.
  17. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    My dog is amazing at scaring off squirrels, birds, butterflies and occasionally himself when he sees his reflection

palonej and katanas like this.
  18. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    We have a ferocious "Pit Beagle" . Always tries his best to aggressively scare off intruders , from behind his yard fence . Recently a huge wild turkey flew into land in the yard with him . He boldly ran into his house and hid ! :p

katanas likes this.
  19. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    The CS Boar Spear is a very effective tool.
    Small wonder, as its based on spears of yore.

1:35 min in

DocJD likes this.
  20. ursamajor

ursamajor

Oct 27, 2010
    Don’t matter the breed of dog, how big, or how well trained. It will help defend you from a Mountain Lion as well as a newborn baby could. A stiff fart may be more useful.